Join for free
Page 10 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 03:25 PM

Re: Over 50s Forum Plans for 2021! (Please read - contains important information)

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I have no idea if it was Azz, I was just puzzled that I couldn't get on the forum. I did realise he was changing servers, the notification said so when I checked in. It also said up to 48 hours to settle, but nothing about having to log in. I never usually log out.
The system always logs me out automatically if I haven't been active for about half an hour or so. Not sure if this common with everyone though.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 03:44 PM

Re: Over 50s Forum Plans for 2021! (Please read - contains important information)

I was off for a day and a bit too, the message apologised and said it was because the site was moving to a new server and normal service would be resumed within 48 hours... or words to that effect, so no worries here just waited for the internet to do it's thing..
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I was off for a day and a bit too, the message apologised and said it was because the site was moving to a new server and normal service would be resumed within 48 hours... or words to that effect, so no worries here just waited for the internet to do it's thing..
Ditto.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
The system always logs me out automatically if I haven't been active for about half an hour or so. Not sure if this common with everyone though.
I clicked the button that says keep me logged in. Guess because we've moved servers it automatically logged me out. Would have been fine, but I never remember passwords & the one I had written down for here didn't work, until I sussed out how to get a new one.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 07:20 PM

I was off for the best part of one day - from about 8.00 am (well, might have been earlier, but that was the first time I tried to access OFF) to early evening. But I didn't have to log in again or nuffin, I just refreshed the page and there it was, and I was still logged in as before.

Odd isn't it how we've all had different experiences. Or none at all in some cases!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I wasn't being critical of your 4TB storage, I hope you didn't take it as such, it was just a general comment on storage capacity and how it has changed over time.

For example once what we now use as thumbnails was once the largest practical size for a photo on a web page because dial up speeds made anything larger take too long to load.
Not at all and you are right - even 4TB isn't much (but should serve us well for some time)

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It sounds like Azz has been twiddling again, Tiff
I have no idea if it was Azz, I was just puzzled that I couldn't get on the forum. I did realise he was changing servers, the notification said so when I checked in. It also said up to 48 hours to settle, but nothing about having to log in. I never usually log out.
It wasn't me! It shouldn't have logged you out but glad you made it back in ok

I had a problem for about 20 minutes just after 1.30pm AEST when I kept getting "Error 503 - Server not found" that would have been about 4.30am UTC ie your time.
Now that was me I decided to make some changes and it messed something up. We were down for about 20 minutes like you said

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
If you click the 'remember me' button (as mentioned by Tiff) it should keep you logged in

Originally Posted by Barry ->
There is a way to speed things up, but the instructions can be complicated so I didn't mention it, but if anyone's interested for the future:

https://www.a2hosting.co.uk/kb/getti...-your-computer
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 11:23 PM

Thanks Azz, all OK now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 04:54 AM

I clicked the button that says keep me logged in. Guess because we've moved servers it automatically logged me out. Would have been fine, but I never remember passwords & the one I had written down for here didn't work, until I sussed out how to get a new one.
It is actually a "cookie" on your computer that keeps you logged in so unless you delete it or get your browser to delete it then you should remain logged in indefinitely because the web site checks for it first. I can only guess that changing servers rendered that cookie useless.

Personally I have my browser set to clear all cookies on shut down so even if I tick the "Keep me Logged in" box once I close the browser I still have to log in again
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 07:07 AM

It is actually a "cookie" on your computer that keeps you logged in so unless you delete it or get your browser to delete it then you should remain logged in indefinitely because the web site checks for it first. I can only guess that changing servers rendered that cookie useless.

Personally I have my browser set to clear all cookies on shut down so even if I tick the "Keep me Logged in" box once I close the browser I still have to log in again
Same here.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 08:06 AM

My MacBook Pro is set to clear all History and Cookies daily, as far as I know there isn't a way to save any particular Cookies, not that I have bothered to find out. This however, means I often have to agree to cookies for various websites, including those I use regularly like online banking but not once has that happened with OFF.

With the recent problems all was OK. After reading the message about changing servers I couldn't log on but did a search for 'Over 50s Forum', found that and clicked on the link and then was automatically logged on via user name and password stored on the Mac.

Strange how technology works, or doesn't work in some cases, isn't it!

Page 10 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top