Join for free
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 12:27 PM

Britain keeps its asylum seekers on UK soil

Not a single European country has decided to support the UK government’s controversial asylum plans, with the UN on Saturday night criticising the proposals as so damaging they risked Britain’s “global credibility”.

Six weeks after the home secretary, Priti Patel, unveiled a sweeping immigration overhaul that included deporting migrants who enter the UK illegally to safe countries such as “France and other EU countries”, sources have said the Home Office has been unable to persuade any European state to sign up to the scheme.

The*UN’s refugee agency*will soon publish its detailed legal opinion into Patel’s asylum proposals that is likely to conclude her plans infringe international legislation and are unworkable. Despite this, Patel’s asylum proposals are to feature in the Queen’s speech on Tuesday, which lays out the government’s legislative agenda for the next year.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...CMP=GTUK_email
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 02:40 PM

Re: Britain keeps its asylum seekers on UK soil

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Not a single European country has decided to support the UK government’s controversial asylum plans, with the UN on Saturday night criticising the proposals as so damaging they risked Britain’s “global credibility”.

Six weeks after the home secretary, Priti Patel, unveiled a sweeping immigration overhaul that included deporting migrants who enter the UK illegally to safe countries such as “France and other EU countries”, sources have said the Home Office has been unable to persuade any European state to sign up to the scheme.

The*UN’s refugee agency*will soon publish its detailed legal opinion into Patel’s asylum proposals that is likely to conclude her plans infringe international legislation and are unworkable. Despite this, Patel’s asylum proposals are to feature in the Queen’s speech on Tuesday, which lays out the government’s legislative agenda for the next year.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...CMP=GTUK_email
Seems there is a petition by Brexiteers to improve the UKs international standing

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/577927

How many countries would we be joining that are not signatories to the 1951 Refugee Convention and 1967 Protocol?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Seems there is a petition by Brexiteers to improve the UKs international standing

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/577927

How many countries would we be joining that are not signatories to the 1951 Refugee Convention and 1967 Protocol?
Of the 193 countries in the world, 145 have signed. You would be joining countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, India and Bangladesh, and in another corner of the world, Lebanon, Pakistan and Jordan.*
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Of the 193 countries in the world, 145 have signed. You would be joining countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, India and Bangladesh, and in another corner of the world, Lebanon, Pakistan and Jordan.*
Won’t make us a complete Pariah then.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-05-2021, 09:54 PM

Amidst all these muslim countries?
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 10:42 PM

Hi @all,

I am new to this sub forum. Originally I applied for the pro Brexit forum as I like the idea of Brexit but did not qualify. So please have mercy with me as I am a "novice" in this part of the Brexit universe.

Wikipedia names a list of pariah states, I guess the UK does not want to be included in that list, am I right?

Should there be slight and limited diversions from agreements or the "international law" (difficult definition IMO), there should be proper scrutiny beforer conviction.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hi @all,

I am new to this sub forum. Originally I applied for the pro Brexit forum as I like the idea of Brexit but did not qualify. So please have mercy with me as I am a "novice" in this part of the Brexit universe.

Wikipedia names a list of pariah states, I guess the UK does not want to be included in that list, am I right?

Should there be slight and limited diversions from agreements or the "international law" (difficult definition IMO), there should be proper scrutiny beforer conviction.
Correction 7779311, when requesting to join the Pro Brexit sub forum you stated that you hadn't decided if you were pro Brexit or not, that is why it was considered you did not qualify .
The whole point of the Sub Forums is to allow members who support one side or the other to have a say without arguments or bickering.

See the ruling by Admin below on this subject...
Originally Posted by Azz
Pro Brexit
This is a sub-section of the main Brexit forum. To post in this section you must first join the Pro Brexit group via your control panel.

Group requirements are simple - it is for those who are Pro Brexit and this must be reflected in your posts. Strong or relatively strong opposition to Brexit is not allowed in this section, if such posts are made the group admins can remove you from the group.

- Against Brexit

This is a sub-section of the main Brexit forum. To post in this section you must first join the Against Brexit group via your control panel.

Group requirements are simple - it is for those who are Against Brexit and this must be reflected in your posts. Strong or relatively strong support of Brexit is not allowed in this section, if such posts are made the group admins can remove you from the group.
https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=41484
7779311 as you still seem undecided as to whether or not you are Pro or Anti Brexit you really don't qualify for inclusion in either group.
Perhaps when you make up your mind you will let the Moderators know and we can add you to the appropriate group . Incidentally, if you wish to discuss a Moderator's actions please start a thread in the 'Forum Help & Contact Us' do not start discussions on the forums .
Thank you.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

09-05-2021, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hi @all,

Since this subforum was last used exactly 4 years ago, I suspect only new members will be posting here. Not much of a debate here probably, but none of the bashing of posters the moment an argument is lost.
Nevertheless, it still is possible to discuss the diferent viewpoints on the revelations of brexit as they enroll in the future. We'll see.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 09:13 PM

*Post deleted questions for Moderators should be posted in the Forum help section.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-05-2021, 12:48 PM

Makes you wonder about the reason to leave. Although the Convention is "legally binding," there is no body that monitors compliance. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has supervisory responsibilities but cannot enforce the Convention, and there is no formal mechanism for individuals to file complaints. The Convention specifies that complaints should be referred to the International Court of Justice. It appears that no nation has ever done this.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top