Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 03:44 PM

Re: Paper Wasp

Originally Posted by UkGameCoder ->
Quick "paper wasp" entry into the Google search box confirms that there is such an insect.

Beautiful photograph, Danny! Never heard of them before.
I grew up around them in East Texas. Nasty buggers when you accidentally disturb hive. Not as bad as Yellowjackets though.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 03:53 PM

Strange looking creature - but rather handsome. Great Photo!
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

06-07-2021, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Danny ->
I grew up around them in East Texas. Nasty buggers when you accidentally disturb hive. Not as bad as Yellowjackets though.
Just read the paper wasp Wikipedia page. Didn't see anything about their size. The one in your photograph looks massive! So, how big are they?

No, don't tell me - I'll be having nightmares about them!

Oh, go on then, I'm too curious!

Edit: no worries. They're actually not that big.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

06-07-2021, 04:05 PM

Great photo but I’ve had enough of wasps to last me a lifetime.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7F17AD4-44FD-469A-8432-3C81BD092E33.png
Views:	169
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	16192  
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by UkGameCoder ->
Just read the paper wasp Wikipedia page. Didn't see anything about their size. The one in your photograph looks massive! So, how big are they?

No, don't tell me - I'll be having nightmares about them!

Oh, go on then, I'm too curious!

Edit: no worries. They're actually not that big.
They are average sized wasp an inch or less.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 08:07 PM

Lovely pic but I hate wasps .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Great photo but I’ve had enough of wasps to last me a lifetime.
I can well believe it after what you've just been through.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 09:41 PM

I knew someone who suddenly found she had 3 or 4 wood wasps careering around her living room. Flipping great things, they can reach up to 4cm in length . Took a while to work out where they'd come from - they'd hatched from a bucket of logs they'd brought in for their log burner. She learned a valuable lesson that evening: only ever buy kiln dried logs, as the process kills off any eggs that might be in the wood!

Great photo, btw Danny - I would only have been able to take that with a very long zoom lens
Danny
Denver, CO

07-07-2021, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I knew someone who suddenly found she had 3 or 4 wood wasps careering around her living room. Flipping great things, they can reach up to 4cm in length . Took a while to work out where they'd come from - they'd hatched from a bucket of logs they'd brought in for their log burner. She learned a valuable lesson that evening: only ever buy kiln dried logs, as the process kills off any eggs that might be in the wood!

Great photo, btw Danny - I would only have been able to take that with a very long zoom lens
A long lens would be preferable. I've been lucky I usually catch them alone. I get close enough for them to tell me I need a breath mint. Which puts you in range to get stung. I really only worry if I am using a flash, that tends to disturb them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top