Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 07:53 AM

Van Gogh farmhouse

This beautiful Van Gogh was sold in the sixties for £4

It’s such a lovely painting .

https://www.tatler.com/video/van-gog...of-a-farmhouse
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 08:01 AM

Re: Van Gogh farmhouse

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This beautiful Van Gogh was sold in the sixties for £4

It’s such a lovely painting .
If you weren't told who painted it, it just looks like something that could have been knocked out by any number of artists. Although I do prefer it to Van Gogh's better known splodgy style of daubing paint about.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
If you weren't told who painted it, it just looks like something that could have been knocked out by any number of artists. Although I do prefer it to Van Gogh's better known splodgy style of daubing paint about.
Starry night, wheat field with crows, the red vineyard and sunflowers to name a few are my favourite paintings… what’s wrong with Impressionism? Wouldn’t you like to ‘see’ the world through someone else’s eyes?

What art style do you enjoy Harbal?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 08:14 AM

It sold for £4
Van Gogh! Yes! He was quite a talented artist.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 08:16 AM

I think you prefer playing devils advocate
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
what’s wrong with Impressionism? Wouldn’t you like to ‘see’ the world through someone else’s eyes?
I don't think there's anything wrong with impressionism, Minx, I'm just not particularly fond of Van Gogh's version of it. Not that I'm any kind of authority on art.

Originally Posted by Minx ->
?
What art style do you enjoy Harbal?
No particular style, but I don't like things just because they are generally accepted to be masterpieces. For example: the Mona Lisa looks like a rather dull picture of a quite plain looking woman to me. That is in no way a failure to acknowledge the incredible skill of the painter though.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

18-07-2021, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I think you prefer playing devils advocate
You're right, Bratti, I do, but the picture really doesn't look anything out of the ordinary to me.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

18-07-2021, 08:22 AM

You're right, Bratti, I do, but the picture really doesn't look anything out of the ordinary to me.
Perhaps because you are just an ordinary thinker with little artistic appreciation.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 08:27 AM

I went to a Van Gogh exhibition in Amsterdam and, although I didn't appreciate the beauty in many of his works, I did feel the emotion he was going through when he painted them!
There are very few Van Gogh paintings that I admire, but there are many that bring a tear to my eye, or sadness because they tell me how sad he was when he painted them.

This farmhouse is lovely, but I wonder if he painted it before his troubled times, as I don't feel any great emotion when I look at it?

I am no art critic, as I don't know enough , but there have been occasions when I have seen something that captured my feelings rather than my eye.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

18-07-2021, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Perhaps because you are just an ordinary thinker with little artistic appreciation.
Quite possibly. Or it could be because I am not an ordinary thinker, and am not mesmerised by the name of the artist.

I'm not saying it isn't a nice picture, I'm just saying that's all it is.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top