Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 08:51 AM

Re: Van Gogh farmhouse

I think it is what some self appointed art aficionados derisively term as "chocolate box". I wouldn't call it that, but I'm not a self appointed aficionado.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I don't think there's anything wrong with impressionism, Minx, I'm just not particularly fond of Van Gogh's version of it. Not that I'm any kind of authority on art.

No particular style, but I don't like things just because they are generally accepted to be masterpieces. For example: the Mona Lisa looks like a rather dull picture of a quite plain looking woman to me. That is in no way a failure to acknowledge the incredible skill of the painter though.
Can’t really fault you on the disappointment part Harbal. I visited Paris in 2016 especially for to view her at the Louvre.

The place was jam packed and when I finally got to the front of the hoards of people, it was so small and had been cordoned off as well so I could not really get really close up. It was such a disappointment BUT, I enjoyed the rest of the Louvre. I spent three days there - lots to see and take in.

There’s no denying the artistry of Leonardo though. There’ll only ever be one Monalisa
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I went to a Van Gogh exhibition in Amsterdam and, although I didn't appreciate the beauty in many of his works, I did feel the emotion he was going through when he painted them!
There are very few Van Gogh paintings that I admire, but there are many that bring a tear to my eye, or sadness because they tell me how sad he was when he painted them.

This farmhouse is lovely, but I wonder if he painted it before his troubled times, as I don't feel any great emotion when I look at it?

I am no art critic, as I don't know enough , but there have been occasions when I have seen something that captured my feelings rather than my eye.
That is very perceptive of you Twink I too think this painting was done in when he was younger and before his mind had sunk into his deep depression which led to his suicide .
If ever a painter put his entire soul into his paintings it was Van Gogh .
He never made a cent out of his paintings . He only ever sold one - to his brother - but as his brother supported him entirely this really doesn’t count .
Other painters such as MichaelAngelo painted in order to live others such as Toulouse Lautrec had private means which enabled them to paint .
But Van Gogh painted because he had to paint if there is a heaven this deeply troubled man would be astonished at how sought after his paintings are today ,
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
If ever a painter put his entire soul into his paintings it was Van Gogh .
I don't even know if that means anything, Muddy. It is known that the man had mental problems, and that would inevitably have been manifested in his painting, but that would be the case whatever the mental state of an artist. If you knew nothing about Van Gogh, could you honestly look at his sunflowers and say: yes, this is the soul of an anguished man expressing itself?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 09:35 AM

I see a man striving to reproduce the beauty and vibrancy of the flowers and succeeding .
Van Gogh sunflowers are like no others they are practically alive.

If I saw his darker paintings such as his birds over a wheat field I would know straight away that the artist was troubled .

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	72FC1EC3-57A1-4312-8DA7-7BD3AD07C099.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	16341  
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 09:40 AM

I see a man striving to reproduce the beauty and vibrancy of the flowers and succeeding .

If I saw his darker paintings such as his birds over a wheat field I would know straight away that the artist was troubled .
Agree with whatever Muddy so eloquently said
Harbal
South Yorkshire

18-07-2021, 09:41 AM

Okay, Muddy, if that's what you see. I'm not being deliberately contrary (for once), I am just saying how it seems to me. I can well see how I must be coming across though.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2021, 09:42 AM

I think it is what some self appointed art aficionados derisively term as "chocolate box". I wouldn't call it that, but I'm not a self appointed aficionado.
That’s good because great art reproduced on the lid of a chocolate box doesn’t necessarily make it not great art .
It’s like when people who can’t play a note hear Mozart in a lift and scornfully call it ‘musak’
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-07-2021, 09:45 AM

Okay, Muddy, if that's what you see. I'm not being deliberately contrary (for once), I am just saying how it seems to me. I can well see how I must be coming across though.
No Harbal that’s ok art is subjective ones mans masterpiece is another mans zig saw puzzle .
Harbal
South Yorkshire

18-07-2021, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Agree with whatever Muddy so eloquently said
Well I agree with whatever I said.

Just kidding, Minx, I'm sure Muddy knows what she's talking about far more than I do.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top