Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

19-07-2021, 03:00 PM

Re: Van Gogh farmhouse

Here's a link to a static copy of the painting:

https://useum.org/artwork/Farmhouse-...ncent-van-Gogh

I know hardly anything about Van Gogh, but in this painting, I can see that he is now at the stage where he has mastered his tools and media. He has gone beyond technical mastery and on to a higher level. He understands colour theory, light, shadow, form, etc.. He has all the intellectual tools necessary for his trade, and he's out and about looking for stories to tell. He also has lots of quick, slick, tricks of the trade which he's discovered and invented over the years, and he makes good use of some of them in this painting. He produces an image which is sufficient to record an extensive fictional and/or real account of this family's past, present and future, and it's interaction with the land.

Van Gogh is out and about exploring. He discovers this farmhouse which is not formally engineered. The entire building is subsiding as the land has been shifting over the years. It has been built by an amateur builder. The first attempt at a barn (to the left of the house) didn't work, perhaps because of heavy rains flooding it (there is a gentle slope down to the barn which is not raised as is the house). The second barn was built, and appears to be on the same level as the house.

The old lady's husband is infirm, or has passed away. The whitewash and/or rendering is falling from the walls. The roof thatching is growing thin. The barn roof is falling apart. These are all tasks usually carried out by the man of the house.

The property looks as though it might just last long enough to accommodate the old lady before she dies.

A semi-overcast landscape painting, this is arguably one of the most challenging types of painting because of the lack of light and shadow which are essential for defining form and colour. The dim light merges with relatively bright shadow. Did Van Gogh wait for clouds to dim the subject deliberately in order to take on this challenge? I know how difficult this is because it is a challenge which I tried to take on a few times, but I failed. I don't know, but he executes it brilliantly.

There's so much more to say about this beautiful painting. Why don't you have a go, Harbal? This is pure art. There is no single, correct answer or interpretation. Anyone is free to interpret art in any way they choose. Indeed, there could be as many stories behind this painting as there are critics - amateur or professional.

From my limited knowledge of Van Gogh, I would say that he was a dedicated, pure, fine artist. He was hardly interested in commercial art. He worked for love, not money, which is one of the bravest things anyone can ever do. Even in today's civilised society, where we have generous social benefits, giving up one's security and not knowing where the next meal is coming from, and even going without shelter, is beyond most of us.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 03:07 PM

Re: Van Gogh farmhouse

Originally Posted by eccles ->
.... or maybe just trying to replicate the wind blowing and the birds flying overhead.

It's funny how "experts" see hidden meanings in art and behavioural quirks after the event (no offence Muddy)
None taken I am not an expert I am just giving my opinions.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top