Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:49 PM

Re: The internet

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
How do you ensure that though, Minx? [/b]Discipline[/b] and trust or something else?

I can only agree with you there, deciphering text is a 'pet hate' of mine too,
together with the use of so many abbreviations.
Discipline - no. They were simply mature in age and reached their own decisions - no interference from me.
Abbreviations - I can’t stand those! I’m taking the time to type in full to you and expect the same in return.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Discipline - no. They were simply mature in age and reached their own decisions - no interference from me.
Abbreviations - I can’t stand those! I’m taking the time to type in full to you and expect the same in return.
They sound to have been correctly brought up Minx so have 'repaid' this by being mature enough to reach their own decisions.

Exactly my thoughts and how much extra time does it take to type the full words? Not very much. However, much of this is to save time, so I am informed. What do people do with all this time saved I wonder? Spend more time on the internet probably!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 10:07 PM

They sound to have been correctly brought up Minx so have 'repaid' this by being mature enough to reach their own decisions.

Exactly my thoughts and how much extra time does it take to type the full words? Not very much. However, much of this is to save time, so I am informed. What do people do with all this time saved I wonder? Spend more time on the internet probably!
Thanks Baz. Being mom and dad isn’t an easy task but they’re both good kids. I’ve been blessed.

Next thing you know, there’ll be a new language. Text language
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 10:07 PM

Vicious circle...the web
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 10:10 PM

And sticky.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 10:25 PM

Thanks Baz. Being mom and dad isn’t an easy task but they’re both good kids. I’ve been blessed.

Next thing you know, there’ll be a new language. Text language
However, you have obviously accomplished that task and done that very well too!

I have often wondered that myself and have come to the conclusion, with the way some hardly speak (they are on their screens so much) that they will only grunt soon as they have forgotten how to communicate using speech!

Text language we already have – text talk, with its lack of capital letters, punctuation and even some words but with all those abbreviations!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-07-2021, 11:33 PM

However, you have obviously accomplished that task and done that very well too!

I have often wondered that myself and have come to the conclusion, with the way some hardly speak (they are on their screens so much) that they will only grunt soon as they have forgotten how to communicate using speech!

Text language we already have – text talk, with its lack of capital letters, punctuation and even some words but with all those abbreviations!
Pet peeve - abbreviations are ok but I’ve seen all sorts of shortcuts. I hope text language doesn’t become a universal language like English because whatever would the French do then?
Baz46

24-07-2021, 11:52 PM

Pet peeve - abbreviations are ok but I’ve seen all sorts of shortcuts. I hope text language doesn’t become a universal language like English because whatever would the French do then?
The only 'shortcuts' I know are those on an Apple Mac qwerty keyboard. Text using a keyboard presents no problems as I was trained as a keyboard operator to 'touch type'. Can't be doing with abbreviations and text language though for that reason.

As for the French I have only ever known one French person, she was a student here in the UK to learn/improve her English. I started to learn French at senior school but could never get used to a lot of it, so gave it up as a bad job.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 12:21 AM

I worry about the Internet getting into the wrong hands.

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 10:39 AM

After all this Lockdown time we've all endured, enjoying the use of t'internet is a no brainer.

Being able to bore everyone to bits has been very useful at this time.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top