Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 01:41 PM

It's not about music...

Many years ago, we bought tickets to "Proms in the Park" in London, and booked a hotel for the night.

It's wasn't so much about the "Pomp & circumstance" etc, but we particularly wanted to see the "supporting acts". Off we went with a picnic, bottle of wine etc.. and settled down to listen to the music - NOT!

We soon came to the conclusion that a large number of the audience weren't there for the music, but simply for the occasion. The most prominent sound was of talking, mobile phones etc.. and it was virtually impossible to hear what was happening on stage.

We left before the end feeling 'cheated' at not being able to enjoy many of the performances. We would never go again, and in recent years get the feeling that the 'Last night' has become little more than an excuse for a party for people who don't know the words to "Auld lang syne".

I'll stick listening to it on Radio3.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Re: It's not about music...

The best way, I feel that way too, wouldn't even go to the cinema today, the last time was just too noisy .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 02:10 PM

I agree we were treated to a couple of tickets a few years ago and never told the present giver how disappointing it was, we too wanted to see the acts but could hardly see or hear for phones and chatters and two people nearby who drank themselves to oblivion as the evening progressed.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 04:04 PM

I wouldnt go to the pictures now because of the noise( funny coming from someone deaf) but the last film I saw was donkeys years ago The Godfather and it was noisy then.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 04:06 PM

You're right Annie - I can remember it going back a fair way ...
Must be even worse now ......

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top