Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 02:35 PM

Re: Are you shy!

Originally Posted by littlebob ->
My Dad was about average but my mum was a "monsters she was extremely overbearing, by the time I was 12 years old I had seen her really walk over my head master, our GP, the local pharmacist and two shop keepers. She could over power any argument and I am sure this had something to do with my shyness, I just did not want to tangle with another monster like her, I really wanted a quiet life with as little people contact as possible. Obviously I got over it slowly but I wanted to make sure my children did not suffer the same treatment.
How a child develops socially is definitely affected by the attitude of there parents or guardians.Very interesting subject, job to know what to do for the best.
littleob
Exactly my thoughts - glad you found a way out of the turmoil and you have a happy family life now
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 02:44 PM

In the days when little children were "seen but not heard", I would be accused of being a 'showoff' for trying to attract attention. I think that my mother was very insecure and father just 'went with the flow'.

I can't say that I was shy and had no problems appearing on stage in school plays or playing in a (bad) blues band.

My children are pretty confident and outgoing. Elder daughter was a little shy as a child, but is now a senior lecturer who can happily present at international conferences without notes.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 03:15 PM

I suffer from sociophobia, which is chronic shyness, but in my case there are probably other reasons for it as I ain't shy face to face as long as I ain't worrying about my appearance. Funnily enough I'm supposed to be a good looking bloke but once I'm unsettled about something it can take over my thought processes, and that something is always regarding my appearance. Still, I think I have a pretty good handle on it now. Devastatingly debilitating condition though and has resulted in me being housebound for long periods at a time - years.
Min
New Member!
Cornwall, UK
Min is female 

09-01-2015, 05:18 PM

I'm not shy but I am an introvert. A little company goes a long way with me. I enjoy a casual chat with a neighbour or acquaintance but go out of my way to avoid formal occasions like weddings, funerals or the like. I really can't see the point of forced social conversations between people who have nothing in common.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I suffer from sociophobia, which is chronic shyness, but in my case there are probably other reasons for it as I ain't shy face to face as long as I ain't worrying about my appearance. Funnily enough I'm supposed to be a good looking bloke but once I'm unsettled about something it can take over my thought processes, and that something is always regarding my appearance. Still, I think I have a pretty good handle on it now. Devastatingly debilitating condition though and has resulted in me being housebound for long periods at a time - years.
Sociophobia is more common than people think.

My sister in law has agoraphobia and it's a complete lack of confidence in herself. So she locks herself away.

We're all unique and have our foibles
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 05:32 PM

I was always a shy kid and I grew into a shy teenager and then a shy adult.

I had no male "role model" and I sorely needed one but I had to make my own way in life as there was nobody around to help me.

Needless to say I made a complete "Bottox" of it all.

Now I am still a bit shy, introverted and sometimes lonely but nobody gives a shit.

Welcome - again - to the 21st Century. stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

Needless to say I made a complete "Bottox" of it all.

Now I am still a bit shy, introverted and sometimes lonely but nobody gives a shit.

Welcome - again - to the 21st Century. stevmk2
Steve, I think you are far too hard on yourself.

Better to be shy and pleasant, than to be an extrovert who is a pain in the a***

You are who you are.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 06:15 PM

Hello Bob and a warm welcome to you.
I was a bit shy as a small boy but it soon vanished as I got older, I realised that I was the same as everyone else so why should I be shying away from life when everyone else seems to be having a great time. Me old Granny used to say to me “You’re shy but willing, like a jackass eating thistles”
Bob.b
Nottingham UK
Bob.b is male  Bob.b has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 07:28 PM

Fear not Bob Bach, most of us have suffered with shyness at one time or another judging from the replies to your question and it is clearly obvious that family environment plays quite a large part in your behaviour, especially from an early age.

Not a lot you can do about it if you let other family members dictate to you, stand up and be counted is the order of the day methinks but I do agree with the comments posted by Min.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

10-01-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Min ->
I'm not shy but I am an introvert. A little company goes a long way with me. I enjoy a casual chat with a neighbour or acquaintance but go out of my way to avoid formal occasions like weddings, funerals or the like. I really can't see the point of forced social conversations between people who have nothing in common.
I agree Min.

Forced social conversation can be mithering when there's absolutely nothing in common.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top