Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 03:02 AM

Omg I just made something, and it... tasted ok!

Well actually a little more than ok - it tasted good!

Unfortunately I didn't take pics as I thought it was going to be horrible (like most of my cooking!) but it actually looked the part too. Can you tell I'm chuffed?

Edit: here's a pic from another day:

So what was it?

Have to called it Moroccan something as it was served with barley cous cous (that was recommended in another thread!) and... it was chicken based

Here's what I did.
  • Fried some red onions in a little bit of coconut oil
  • As they were getting done I diced a piece of chicken breast and added it.
  • Then added some fresh peas (that M&S had on offer!).
  • Then added some ground black pepper, salt and a tiny bit of turmeric. (Think my mum told me to use turmeric with chicken once, and I also read somewhere it is good for you so wanted to experiment with it)
  • Then added some olives I've had in the fridge since last week
  • Add some chopped orriander
  • Then crushed some garlic and added that for the last 5 mins or so.

So I did the cous cous and was about to put it on my plate and thought, well it looks juicy in that pan so put it in there and gave it a bit of a mix!

It sooooo didn't taste like my cooking - it tasted nice! AND it wasn't too 'flavoury/spicy' so perfect for me!

If anyone tries it please let me know what you think!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 03:39 AM

Re: Omg I just made something, and it... tasted ok!

Now that does sound good, except for the olives (don't like them!) You're getting really good at experimenting, and doesn't it feel good when it turns out even better than you thought it would?! I'd use some chilis in that, but I love spicy.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 10:12 AM

That sounds quite exotic, I don't like garlic very much, especially when it overwhelms the other flavours.

What's next on the menu?
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Chichen Azz??

It sounds wonderful. I love to cook by taste and the garlic adds so much. You have to expermiment and I can almost taste it from here.

Since we all like different flavors, it does not always work to have a recipe, does it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 01:43 PM

That's started my mouth watering Azz ....well done! The only thing I'm not too keen on are the olives but maybe the taste of all the other ingredients would compensate for that.

I can see your next target as writing your own Cook Book!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Sounds great Azz now stick it in the recipe thread so that we can find it again.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 02:03 PM

Turmeric is reputed to have powerful anti-cancer properties. It also gives a good colour without imparting too much flavour - so it's good for making something which is tending to grey look a lot brighter and more inviting
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 02:53 PM

My Mother told me about tumeric as well.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks guys!

And for all your olive haters - I think it would have been better without tbh, or cut into smaller pieces and just use less salt in the dish. Not sure whey they tasted so salty, only supposed to have been prepared in oil :-/
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2010, 09:20 PM

I've never used turmeric; but I do like saffron, both for the color and flavor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top