Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Re: Would you lie to spare someone's feelings?

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Sure took you some time !
I was deciding whether to lie or not.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I would lie if the situation deemed it suitable. Like a request from a dying person, that I couldn't fullfill. Does it matter if that person then died feeling happier? Providing there were no witnesses to the lie that is, of course.
It would matter to me, the request was totally unreasonable, and part of an on going problem.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:42 PM

I don't see any reason to lie to anyone, if the truth is too painful the question can be avoided.

I don't want anyone lying to me, how can I trust their word if they do so I don't lie to anyone either.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
I have a problem with lying, I don't like doing it but there is such a thing as a tactful response. If I can wriggle without causing offence, I will.
For me that's the best answer and it's what I'd do and have done all my life so far because I must be the world's 2nd worst liar - after Pinocchio. stevmk2
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't see any reason to lie to anyone, if the truth is too painful the question can be avoided.

I don't want anyone lying to me, how can I trust their word if they do so I don't lie to anyone either.
Well said.

If one can avoid a situation where it is either truth or a lie then of course that is best, but if one can't as in the situation I described, then I had to opt for the truth.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Well said.

If one can avoid a situation where it is either truth or a lie then of course that is best, but if one can't as in the situation I described, then I had to opt for the truth.
I have been in a situation a number of times where I knew a person was dying and was asked some very difficult questions which I managed to answer truthfully without causing distress.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

29-02-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have been in a situation a number of times where I knew a person was dying and was asked some very difficult questions which I managed to answer truthfully without causing distress.
In my case the answer couldn't be wrapped up, because of the nature of the request.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 03:59 PM

In my case the answer couldn't be wrapped up, because of the nature of the request.
If You tell Us what the request was Tarantula..then maybe it would be easier for Us to agree or disagree..meet us halfway
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

29-02-2016, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
If You tell Us what the request was Tarantula..then maybe it would be easier for Us to agree or disagree..meet us halfway
It is the general principle I am discussing. I would be wrong to reveal the exact nature of the conversation with my father, and have no intention of doing so.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 04:10 PM

It is the general principle I am discussing. I would be wrong to reveal the exact nature of the conversation with my father, and have no intention of doing so.
Och well..it shall remain a mystery...as will My reply

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top