Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 03:49 PM

Slow cookers/crock pots

What are the slow cookers like? I quite like the idea of putting everything in one pot and coming back to it a few hours later when it's all done! Especially now I am busy running around.

Anyone have any good recipes? Are the electric ones 'ok'/safe?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Re: Slow cookers/crock pots

I've got the Morphy Richards Slimming World HealthCook slow cooker. It has a removable crock pot and low, medium and high settings.

They are ideal if you are rushed for time ..... prepare everything the night before, switch on in the morning, then depending what you are cooking your meal will be ready for you when you come home.

Must admit I do not use mine much as I'm usually around to prepare and cook during the day. My daughter has one and uses hers regularly.

They are extremely good for casseroles....

This will give you an idea what you can cook in them, Azz ..... http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/slow...r-recipes.aspx

The electric are very good and safe
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 08:49 PM

You'll have to keep your dog out of your kitchen Azz incase he gets a wift of it and tries to get at it (just a thought)
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Had a slow-cooker for number of years now Azz, and use it regularly. Can more or less put anything in it and its a great time-saver. Never had any problems with it either.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 11:09 PM

I love mine but it does make me sooo hungry lol I cook rabbit casseroles and the smell wafting around makes my mouth water lol
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2010, 01:42 AM

Thanks guys - what are your fave recipes for them?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2010, 02:35 AM

I was given one as an Xmas gift years ago and ... have never used it. It seemed a bit impractical cooking for one; I don't do cooking large amounts for left overs.

I do have,use and heartily recommend a Romertopf clay cooker though.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-07-2010, 03:09 PM

Here's my first attempt!

A beef casserole... of sorts - well I just chucked anything and everything in!

Beef (coated in olive oil and corn flour), carrots, onions, parnsips, broccoli, swede, cabbage! Then one clove of garlic, salt, pepper, some dried rosemary and even some mustard seeds LOL!

It was ok actually - but the smell whilst cooking was a bit weird LOL!!

Served with roasted potatoes with a bit of clarified butter.

And here full plate on my new desk:

One thing I noticed, is that I probably need to season it a LOT more - as I couldn't taste much of it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2010, 09:06 PM

You don't waste time, do you Azz!

Your meal looks very nourishing and if you wanted more seasoning, maybe you could add Bouillon or Kallo Organic stock cube during cooking...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

20-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Thanks Mags

I've seen a lot of recipes add 'stock' or cubes - but I try to steer clear if possible (although ok as an occasional treat).

I will try some sage leaves or something next time, although must admit - with the butter on potatoes it was actually quite nice... I had 3rds and there's even some left over for tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top