Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Cooker Recommendations Please

My poor old cooker has finally given up completely so I need to get a new one.
Its a minefield out there.
I want a freestanding one aprox 22" or56cm wide.
Can anyone firstly tell me what is the best type of hob? Are the ceramic ones any good and easy to clean? or what about the solid ring type as I have one with those whirly looking hob elements at the moment.
It must have a seperate grill and I would prefer a self clean fan oven, but wondered if there is any easy to keep clean oven types these days?
Finally any recommendations of a good make or cooker thats not too expensive.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2010, 09:52 AM

Re: Cooker Recommendations Please

I prefer gas. And I just the cheapest cooker onethey could deliver! Make sure they`ll take the old one away btw.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2010, 02:55 PM

I'm prefer an electric oven and gas top and there maybe a Belling one in that sort of size which will suit your needs. Although a gas hob is better (I think) there are some nice ceramic tops and they are very easy to clean and look nice and streamlined.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Personally I would make sure the oven has a fan - as I find they are better :-/
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2010, 03:32 PM

Azz, it all depends on how much you want to pay.

Halogen are quite good and have instant heat just like Gas.
Fan assisted ovens are really a necessity more than a luxury.
If you search the web you could find some great savings particulary if a company has just brought out a new model. You could save up to 50% buying the old model.

Go to the websites and read the reviews that people leave, some good hints and tips generally come with them.
Ours is an Electrolux and my wife swears by it, I have only used it when my wife has been incapacitated, the kitchen is her domain, and I found it very easy to used.

Do not buy a cooker with something on it that you will never use simply because it is the latest gadget.

Buy before January when VAT goes up.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2010, 04:18 PM

I like gas rings and have electric ovens but would not had minded gas ovens.

I never use the fan assist-I just don`t no good reason.

I cannot recommend any make as my old thing keeps going-it was a bit `posh` when we bought it 17 years ago so I expect it to go on a bit yet

Rosiere `Paul Bocuse`

A cooker is not just for christmas it`s a way of life
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2010, 10:01 PM

What about induction hobs? Aren't they the rage these days because they cool down very very quickly?
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2010, 05:52 AM

I've never heard of induction hobbs
It has to be a free standing all in one electric cooker though as I only have a small kitchen and no room for seperate hob and built in oven.
I've been looking on websites and it seems its cheaper to order them online, so I think today I will go round some shops, see what is suitable in my price range and then order it online.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2010, 12:56 PM

I cannot recommend any make as my old thing keeps going-

When will I ever learn to keep my mouth shut?? Clouds of acrid smoke billowing from the right hand oven this morning. I know the difference between a bit of fat burning and something far more serious
madmare
Essex UK

22-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Thankyou everyone.
I have chosen this one which is coming Saturday morning.
You can only stomach so many microwave meals

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...ers-_-position

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top