Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Tuna & Mercury????

Heard something about Tuna and possible health issues relating to Mercury?

Anyone know if this is genuine? And if so, Why & What happens?

Rainbow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Re: Tuna & Mercury????

I don't know if it is genuine or not about Tuna Rainbow, but I have heard that some shellfish can be affected, depending on where it is found. Tuna eat other fish, so if they are affected, then perhaps other fish in the sea are also - not a nice thought
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks Aerolor, It is bewildering when you hear a 'snippet', but wonder what they mean, and why? And what would be the symptoms or problems relating to mercury????

Friends have commented for a few years that I am a little 'off the wall' - (but I have been eating Tuna for a few years too)!

Rainbow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 08:39 PM

I don't know what it will do to us - all I know is mercury is a deadly poison - probably best not to know if you want to keep eating fishy stuff.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

18-10-2010, 08:44 PM

GULP!!!!!

Rainbow
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Here's some info for you:

According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the fish most likely to be contaminated with unsafe levels of mercury are those highest up on the food chain, including shark, king mackerel, tilefish and swordfish. These larger, longer-lived predatory fish feed on the smaller fish and retain in their bodies the contaminants that were in the small fish.

The FDA released a mercury advisory warning in 1994, which advised the public that these fish were safe as part of a balanced diet if eaten no more than once per week. In 2001, the FDA upgraded their advisory, recommending that pregnant women, nursing women or women of childbearing age who may become pregnant, avoid the high-risk fish completely because mercury can harm the nervous system of a developing unborn baby.

According to the FDA, the fish with the least mercury are salmon, trout, catfish, haddock, flounder, crab or shrimp. And what about tuna fish – that classic bodybuilding and fitness staple food?

The FDA says that certain species of large tuna, usually sold as fresh tuna, tuna steaks or sushi, can have mercury levels above the FDA’s danger level of 1 part per million. The smaller tuna species such as albacore and skipjack, have much lower levels of mercury (that’s why canned tuna is less likely to be contaminated with mercury than fresh tuna).

In a recent report on tuna and mercury published by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), they recommend the equivalent of only 1 can of white (albacore) tuna per week or 2 cans of light tuna. However, they added that men, older children or women beyond childbearing age could probably safely consume 2 to 3 times these amounts. (This would increase their recommended limit to just under a can a day).
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 08:50 PM

As far as I can recall there is a potential issue with mercury in a number of fish, but the amounts are so small that it is rarely, if ever, a health issue.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Oops! Dandysmom beat me too it, and with much more detail!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Apparently eating small tin of tuna a week and broiled swordfish at least once a month hasn't impaired my reaction time!

Seriously, small amounts are unlikely to hurt you, I don't worry at all.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

18-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Never been that keen on Tuna anyway so I think I'll just keep eating the prawns, scallops crab, plaice, haddock, etc. if they are OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top