Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 09:27 PM

Re: Tuna & Mercury????

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Here's some info for you:

According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the fish most likely to be contaminated with unsafe levels of mercury are those highest up on the food chain, including shark, king mackerel, tilefish and swordfish.

The FDA released a mercury advisory warning in 1994, which advised the public that these fish were safe as part of a balanced diet if eaten no more than once per week.

I certainly do not eat more than ONE shark a week!!

Hey folks, really appreciate the information and reassurance. I will certainly try to stick to skipjack tuna and salmon.

Rainbow

Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 09:55 PM

There was a woman on "This Morning" who couldn't get pregnant and they found she had too much mercury in her body, she stopped eating fish and got pregnant. (similar to what Dandysmom has put).
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Hi Alicat, Perhaps she also stopped taking the PILL too!!

Rainbow
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 10:02 PM

Must admit I find it a bit worrying, but like others have posted we have been warned about this for a while now :/
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
Hi Alicat, Perhaps she also stopped taking the PILL too!!

Rainbow
I don't know. I just know that they did tests on her and found out she had high mercury readings.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

18-10-2010, 10:06 PM

Makes you wonder what is safe to eat nowadays!! (That as not been contaminiated)!!

Rainbow
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2010, 10:26 PM

That's exactly why I try to stick to organic when at all possible and prefer making my own as a rule rather than buying prepared. I don't always adhere to it, but generally.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2010, 05:02 PM

When I had Murphy, my epileptic GSD, I fed him raw and of the many foods I would not give him was tuna because of the mercury affecting his nervous system.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2010, 08:53 PM

Never feed your cat tuna regularly unless it's been fortified with taurine .... an essential element that the lack of can cause blindness!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top