Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Snowed in - what to cook?

Today is my weekly shopping day, but it's snowing and looking at the cameras on the BBC website, the roads are not good to drive on.. so, what to eat?

As many of you know all I have a restrictive diet, and I'm pretty much out of fresh veg - which I practically live off these days (although I do have some broccoli and cabbage lol) so I've found some rice etc and wondered what you guys would do with the following?

Wholegrain rice
Lentils
Yellow split peas
Pack of mixed beans (but they need to be soaked)
Onions
Frozen veg
Cabbage
Broccoli
Tins tomatoes
Various spices
Frozen cod
Chicken leg x 1
Chicken thighs x 2

I also have some other stuff like cous cous and wholegrain spaghetti - but I'm trying to stay off gluten.

So what would you guys rustle up?

I'm thinking fry some onions, add the cabbage and broccoli (or maybe frozen veg and keep the fresh veg for tomorrow) part boil some rice and then add it to the pan - a bit like a risotto? (which herbs n spices to add tho or just salt n pepper ok?) Should I add half a tin of toms? Or will it be ok without? I wish I was a good cook lol!

What do you reckon? Please give me some ideas before I waste away :-P
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2010, 05:00 PM

Re: Snowed in - what to cook?

A winter stew with chicken tomatoes onions & mixed beans
Then a kedgeree (fish & rice) for tomorrow.
or vice versa
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2010, 03:40 AM

I'd ring out for a pizza
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2010, 03:45 AM

Do you have any broth? I'd make a vegetable soup with the lentils, beans, veggies and tomatoes (with some of the juice), maybe add some rice or small pastas like shells or ditalini if you have any. Spices ... any turmeric and a pinch of oregano?
anna
Norway
anna is female  anna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 03:36 AM

I would make what I call "storm soup" or bulgarian broth. Onions, lentils, tomatoes, stock, garam masala, pepper/salt.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 05:26 PM

I forget, can you eat eggs on your diet? You could make a nice frittata with the vegs.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top