Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Grow/Make Your Own?

Anyone here grow your own food, or make your own?
(Fruit, Veg, Jam and Chutney) etc.....

Rainbow
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2011, 10:38 PM

Re: Grow/Make Your Own?

I used to grow everything but now it is just Tomato's,Lettuce, cucumber,,Strawberry's and New Potatoes for Christmas day.

My wife makes Chutney,tomato sauce, jam
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2011, 11:50 PM

Were you able to manage this with little or no chemicals employed?

(I think half the illnesses today might be related to all the chemicals and preservatives sprayed on plants and soil)

Rainbow
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Definately no Chemicals just good old farmyard manure.

My Onions had the strongest taste around and to say they made you cry was an understatement. Even peeling them under water made your eyes run.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2011, 05:04 PM

We grow quite a lot through the summer and preserve as much as we can of any excess. We freeze fruit and dry store/bottle/pickle vegetables for winter use. There is nothing more satisfying than going into the garden and picking your dinner five minutes before you cook it.
uk sandra
Gateshead UK
uk sandra is female 

21-01-2011, 05:29 PM

I have an allotment and grow most of my own fruit and veg. I also make a lot of jam and chutney. Sadly I also eat a lot of it which is why my backside is so big.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

21-01-2011, 10:15 PM

I know what you mean Sandra. I make my own chutney and jam as well............................and eat it.
uk sandra
Gateshead UK
uk sandra is female 

21-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Well it would be a sin to let all of that lovely fruit go to waste, wouldn`t it.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2011, 11:09 PM

We grow apples, pears, plums, gooseberries, blackcurrents, and strawberries and we have two walnut trees one of which is old now and doesn't give many nuts. OH does carrots, onions, brussels, tomatoes and lettuce. She used to grow potatoes but I finally talked her out of them 'cos we get Colorado beetle here and they are a nightmare to control. You can be thankful they are not found in UK.
susie
New Member!
Purley, Surrey
susie is female 

21-01-2011, 11:37 PM

Hi Losos,
I make my own chutney. I hate currants, raisins and a lot of the more usual chutney ingredients so I make my own which all my kids and their friends beg from me! I offered to hold a class so they can learn how to make it themselves, but they prefer to raid my cupboards and take my jars of ready made.
I make about 20 large jars at a time and the ingredients are Apples, tomatoes, garlic, chilli and other secret things!
It is very spicy but not tasting of molasses at all, cause I don't add brown sugar or malt vinegar. Just white wine vinegar and castor sugar! Very refined is my chutney!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top