Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:20 AM

Just testing

My new ( ish ) camera. It's a Fuji X100T with a 23mm fixed lens.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:22 AM

Re: Just testing

Very nice Gasman, I like the reflections in the water...
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Very nice Gasman, I like the reflections in the water...
Thanks Mags - it was taken from inside a small bird hide in Sevenoaks.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 01:15 AM

Very good reflections of the Bushes and the Sky as well .g

Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 09:16 AM

No offence intended here Gasman, and please bear in mind that I am a complete philistine when it comes to art, but what makes you think that snap is any better than any I could take with my camera phone if in the same place at the same time?

I often look at the photographs in this section and think "well ok it's a nice enough picture", but what makes them particularly worthy of praise in your view?
gasman
Kent, UK

15-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
No offence intended here Gasman, and please bear in mind that I am a complete philistine when it comes to art, but what makes you think that snap is any better than any I could take with my camera phone if in the same place at the same time?
No offence taken at all Barry and thanks for your reply.
You are hardly a phillistine mate, as proved in your photographic skills. The reason behind posting my photo was to purely test the camera and to see how the results look on here. It certainly isn't any better, or worse, than some phone cameras can take. As it's a new toy for me, I wanted to test one aspect of it's and my abilities. Afterall, you have to play with new toys to find out how they work. It's not the same as my D800 and I just needed a test.
The same as the shots below. Nothing great about them.
This one was on an overcast and dreary day last week

I tried a few settings and found this to be about right.

This one was taken last night in a friends house without the use of a flash. The camera was set to auto ISO and White balance ( in other words, it worked things out for me )

As you can see, it handled the situation quite well, even though this old fella didn't have his glasses on to get it in focus properly

I often look at the photographs in this section and think "well ok it's a nice enough picture", but what makes them particularly worthy of praise in your view?
I agree with you and quite often wish that the person taking the photo would take just a little more time to think about the shot, especially if it isn't straight or well composed - but that is only my opinion.
What makes a photo worthy of praise - now that is not so easy to determine. Firstly, not everyone likes the same subject, for example : landscapes, animal photos, sports, aircraft, portraits, macro, flowers etc etc etc.
Another example is Mups. She has said on here that she doesn't like mono photos - personally, I do, but would never
suggest that she is wrong.
To me, a praiseworthy shot is something that is pleasing to my eye. I am only an amateur, but I know what I like. What does the shot say? Is it composed reasonably and give a good account of what was going on? Are the colours fairly accurate ( although, that is another subject matter ) Does it look good in mono? Do you think that it tells a story? Could I have improved on this? The list is not exhaustive and as you can appreciate Barry, people have taken the time and effort to record their sightings on camera. We can all be critical in some way about photography or any other art, as some of my shots have been - on here and other photographic sites. That makes me want to ask questions on how I can improve and perhaps, please other people.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 12:53 PM

What makes a good photo? easy answer, one your happy with. If others like it then it is a bonus
gasman
Kent, UK

17-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->

Did my reply explain everything?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 04:33 PM

If this is a test, then both you and your camera pass!

Someday when I have time, I would like permission to try to paint the crystal vessel photo you shared above to practice some photorealism skills. If you are disinclined, I understand .

Regardless, your work is sensational as always!
gasman
Kent, UK

19-01-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
If this is a test, then both you and your camera pass!

Someday when I have time, I would like permission to try to paint the crystal vessel photo you shared above to practice some photorealism skills. If you are disinclined, I understand .

Regardless, your work is sensational as always!
Thank you and no problem about painting my photo - really nice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top