Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Re: Did you used to smoke?

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
No-one is allowed to vape in my home either!
Killjoy...............
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 06:33 PM

I stopped smoking in the '80s after my Mum had her first stroke. Mr Mags stopped at the same time and both of us gave it up with no help except for our determination to help prevent either of us suffering like Mum did, she used to smoke.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Killjoy...............
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 07:55 PM

At the age of 14 I was smoking occasionally. By the age of 33 and going through a separation and divorce it was up to 60 a day, not actually smoked but some burned away in the ashtray at times. Then my father had a diagnosis of a tumour, which fortunately was benign but probably smoking-related, and involved a complicated operation. Seeing his terrified look on taking him to the hospital for the operation, like a rabbit caught in the headlights, I vowed never to experience that so stopped smoking, cold turkey, there and then.

So as to use that spare money for something useful I started just putting it away regularly. In six years I had saved enough to buy a new hand-built sports car for cash. It felt so very good walking into the showroom and ordering the car exactly as I wanted it, choice of colour, upholstery etc.

My father lived for a further 17 years after his operation, almost to the expected three score years and ten. Some 35 years’ later I still have that car and am still a non-smoker – an ex-smoker and the worst kind. So pleased I stopped smoking when I did though. A heart attack some 12 years’ ago now led the cardiologist to suggest that had I not given up smoking when I did, I probably might not have been around anyway.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 10:25 PM

I used to smoke as well about 20 a day(Embassy @ 37pence a packet of 20 or there abouts ), gave it up well before getting married .
Did it the hard way "cold turkey". what happened it was Christmas time and i had a heavy cold, smokers know you don't want to smoke when having a cold. So this cold of mine lasted about a week, so i got to think to myself if i have stopped for this long etc ,plus I had already run out of ciggies. so Could i stop for at least another day.

And that is how it went on day by day and week by week, yes the urge to smoke was huge, but being a stubborn sod i didn't give in.

It took about 3 years to get out of thinking "I must have a smoke" after working hard was the worst time, as well as going into places that allowed smoking,so I tried to avoid them and the offer of a ciggie.

Was it easy? No it damn well wasn't, got miserable- shakes across the shoulders - sweet eating instead - it was hell to be honest but well worth the effort. Now anyone smoking near me get a mouthful of *********

So if i can do it so can anyone else if they have the will power
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 10:49 PM

I’d like to congratulate all the smokers who quit.
Way to go.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I’d like to congratulate all the smokers who quit.
Way to go.
Yes, well said!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top