Join for free
Page 11 of 95 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 > Last »
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 10:42 AM

Re: What book are you reading now?

Yes. They did get a bit samey, but this one is quite different, although he's still a great storyteller.
Butterfly2013
Canada
Butterfly2013 is female  Butterfly2013 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 04:05 PM

I just finished the first of a series, Flowers in the Attic, a poignant book that kept me reading and reading...starting on the second book now !

Flowers in the Attic is a 1979 novel by V. C. Andrews. It is the first book in the Dollanganger Series, and was followed by Petals on the Wind, If There Be Thorns, Seeds of Yesterday, and Garden of Shadows.

In 1957, the Dollanganger family lives an idyllic life in Gladstone, Pennsylvania. When the father dies in a car accident, his wife Corrine and four children are left deep in debt and move to her estranged wealthy parents' home, Foxworth Hall, in Virginia. Corrine explains to them that she has been estranged from her parents because of something she did which her parents disapproved of when she was 18. She further explains that their true family name is Foxworth not Dollanganger. Upon arrival Corrine's mother, Olivia, sneaks the family into a small bedroom that connects to the attic and insists the children must be hidden from their grandfather. Olivia treats the children with disdain and threatens to severely punish them for any disobedience. Corrine meets with her father, and when she returns to the children, she has been savagely whipped by Olivia, who then tells the children that their parents were half-uncle and niece. Corrine confirms this and explains her plan to win back her father's love so she can introduce the children to him.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 05:15 PM

I read a couple of them, must be 30 years ago now, goodness how time flies!! Enjoyed them at the time.
I am about to start a bit of a sabbatical and just concentrate on my gardening books while the weather is warm enough to do a few jobs outside - not reading as such but still a page turner.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 05:27 PM

I am working my way through the crime novels written by James Lee Burke, reading 'Cadillac Jukebox' at present.
A brilliant descriptive American writer from New Orleans.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:56 AM

I used to love J L Burke. I got his first Robicheaux novel, The Neon Rain, in a charity shop when there were not so many around. I read them all as they came out but the last few years he got too sentimental and god bothering for me.

I particularly enjoyed his relationship with his old buddy Clete Purcell. Clete got to do the stuff too wicked for the hero. Brilliant!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 03:11 PM

He certainly is a great writer, I love all the flora and fauna description and I like to work out all the American slang and phrases his characters use, sometimes very challenging.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2016, 11:28 PM

I've read almost all of his books and enjoyed the great majority of them. Interestingly in the Robicheaux stories, the daughter of the fictional detective is named Alifair.

In real life, Burke has a daughter by that name and she is also a successful crime story author.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 08:36 PM

I did a search for 'FREE' on my Kindle and came across a few detective novels. One was by Jeffrey Archer marked down from £9.95! Seemed a short novel but one I quite enjoyed, though I thought it had a major flaw in that the detective had a gammy leg which was at odds with the action scenes. 2nd one I found for free is lengthier and the detective is a 'real man'; one that drinks copious amounts, fights and beds lots of women . Blimey is life in the US as portrayed in the book I wonder? I ain't man enough to frequent such a place if it is that is for sure. Full of coked up lunatics ready to kick off at a moments notice apparently. Enjoying the book though all the same. Can't remember the title or the name of the author off the top of my head right now. Will add it later.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2016, 12:03 PM

A while back I read Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, which I really enjoyed. So, now I'm reading Mitchell's The Bone Clocks, which has a similar structure to Cloud Atlas but is not quite so enjoyable although still eminently readable. This lesser enjoyment is probably because one section seems to be largely a literary in-joke that you have to get in its entirety to appreciate it.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

11-06-2016, 12:53 PM

Can't remember the title or the name of the author off the top of my head right now. Will add it later
Just make sure you do.....you have fired my interest now

Page 11 of 95 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top