Join for free
Page 497 of 1676 « First < 397 447 487 495 496 497 498 499 507 547 597 997 1497 > Last »
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 06:47 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Well I do suppose it’s time to talk about the unpalatable – the mortal and the immortal. There are of course those amongst us who feel and even perhaps know they are immortal and those others who will say “tush” we are all mortal and when we cease this mortal coil that’s it that’s the end.

No shuffling in the back row Jem and RJ; this is a serious topic. So as we among us who have reached or drawing near the three score years and ten will attest – we KNOW our time draws near too. We see those stars and celebrities and close friends and others ‘drop off the perch' – some sooner than we expected.

However no matter how long I ponder on this topic I KNOW my time will come BUT I FEEL immortal. And there is the difference between scientific knowledge perhaps and spiritual enlightenment ?

So each day as I groan and moan my way through the aches and pains I KNOW its coming but I don’t BELIEVE there is an end. Thank you ; I thank you erhm ahem I thank you!!
Well done fellow posters, this latest flurry of literary and psychodedadeda has struck a rich vein.
I wrote a poem Gummy. About being 70, Ii came across it in an envelope containing 2 photographs of me at school aged 5 & 8. Looking at me and my ragamuffin chums I couldn’t help wondering how many of them were dead now. Or peering into my half FULL glass, well you know the rest of that cliché
Aged 5 or 8, I doubt very much my life expectancy was ever a consideration.
In passing I have over my life time been close to death several times , through illness, drowning, by fire and road accident.
I am 70 this year.
I hadn’t planned on being so tired and weary, or be so restricted in simple tasks at 70. That said I enjoy life and my family.
Even so I am ready for the end any time sooner or later, or as Sir Winston said this is “The end of the beginning”
My dear Granny Maud told me at 96, she didn’t care whether she went UP or DOWN after passing on cos “I’m bound to know people in both places”
JOHN 14 v2 says
My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?
That’s all very well but it means I am gonna be DOWNSIZING again after my death.

THREE SCORE AND TEN

When it’s all said and dusted and done
Your three score and ten has finally run
Will you leave this Earth a better place?
Have you finished the run you meant to race?
Or is your life beset
With many a regret
Much to do yet
Before we forget
When it’s all said and dusted and done
I enjoyed my life, some of it was fun
Did you broaden your outlook meet every race
Or avoid the discomfort, etched in every face
Have you any last request
Now you’re no longer a guest
Heading for the eternal rest
Were you the worst or the best

© RJ 2014
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 09:55 PM

eh by gum as me old granny used to say - i think we need a rest after all that mayhem.

I did a google earth search recently and of course went and looked at the street I was born in - I saw its last remnants - all the houses are boarded up and in fact I am told by a distant [very distant] cousin that they have in fact come down - so google earth is behind the times as usual!

but they are regenerating the 'pool with sweet looking bungalows that have front gardens and fences - and the places look smart and clean - yes I do look back at the old streets and homes with nostalgia [ and Call the Midwife helps me to too] but the new is better and I think I could go back and start again because the streets are still there and the crossroads that I knew and used well.

Many of the old churches have remained, but taken on different functions. the church my parents met in as teenagers and then married in is still there but has become residential suites for university students - how marvelous - Christ is still there welcoming the students - wow that blows the mind. Yes I am impressed with all re-generation and feel re-generated myself. I have just received a mail about research saying that having a positive outlook on life slows aging - when will these researchers catch up on what we know already?

ps: robert you are back in good form keep goin mate you are still a few years behind me! I enjoy the erudite!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 10:14 PM

twas along time ago, I was aware of previous stuff, probably pre-emptive nostalgia, I was fed it, as a matter of fact. It's all in there still, not sure what to do with it.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 11:26 PM

sweetie pie has PM'd me saying she is finding it difficult to follow a theme here - strange - I always thought this thread was one of the original theme parks??
Hmmmmmmmm.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 04:13 AM

you wanna play in a theme park RJ - spittie could be a good chaperone - he's full of Shining. Humor. In. Themes!!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 07:27 AM

you wanna play in a theme park RJ - spittie could be a good chaperone - he's full of Shining. Humor. In. Themes!!!
Life IS a Rollercoaster.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

19-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Doctor Who - last time I watched it was in black and with dallecks?

flickin through the channels today I came across it and was mildly amused and stayed with it - now in color of course and 2005 with Matt Smith the 11th doctor - the acting was IMO opinion good but the action was fast and furious and sexual and I enjoyed it enough to stay with it to the end and ready for more - have I missed much over the years??? Jem I know you're a fan!!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 09:57 AM

Doctor Who fell at the first hurdle when faced with the likes of the Outer Limits and the brilliant Twilight Zone.

The Twilight Zone can still scare the hell out of you and give sleepless nights also who can forget these words

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Fear invoking stuff that
Robert Jnr.
UK

19-02-2018, 10:17 AM

Dr Who does nothing for me and I have managed to NOT watch all 826 episodes since the first one was screened way back in 1967.

It wasn't because I was watching Star Trek (741 episodes 1966 onwards).

More because that was screened on a Friday night & Friday I washed my hair always.

NOW then chums, can anyone guide me to the current
TOPIC of the WEEK.

We've done Opera, Shipping et al. Could it be Heaven or Hell, being 70 years old OR.

DENTIST Encounters.
I have had 3 visits this month costing in excess of £300. I have always had a good rapport with Tom the dentist over the last 32 years he has tended to my gnashers, right back to his student days. In fact he is the 3rd generation of his family to head the practice.

I fear I may have unintentionally upset him on my visit just before Christmas when I absentmindedly greeted him on my arrival with a cheery
"Short back & sides" as I slid into the CHAIR.

I had an out of body experience in this chair in 1976, just saying ennit.

In case anyone is interested I had to call in to my dentist (I.PULL & E TUGGS)because I had fallen over and broken off my 2 front teeth, my 2 front teeth, my 2 front teeth whilst on my way to the OPERA,Madam Butterfly, stlll waiting for her boat, and mr pinkerton to come in ,it was heavenly!)
Robert Jnr.
UK

19-02-2018, 10:22 AM

Astute readers will have noted the subtle way the previous weeks topics were included in the previous post.

Page 497 of 1676 « First < 397 447 487 495 496 497 498 499 507 547 597 997 1497 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top