Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Bowel Cancer

A good article here on how to detect bowel cancer that gives the facts on what to look out for but not in a condescending way.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-4...f-bowel-cancer
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Re: Bowel Cancer

Thanks Judd, that lady turned something we all get embarrassed about, into an every day conversation.

These days, if you catch cancer early there is a very good chance of survival, and I hope many more people will learn to talk about it. If we are told the early symptoms, of many different types of cancer, it will save lives!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 12:53 PM

Mine was caught early - hence I'm still around to annoy you all....

I went to the docs immediately at the first sign of it in 2012. Sod any worry about being embarrassed......
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 01:37 PM

I'm amazed that her blood tests were ok, that doesn't make any sense to me because if you've got a large cancerous tumour steadily bleeding the life out of you (as mine was), then your feeling of extreme fatigue will surely be due to severe anaemia.

Mine's a long story, and lucky for me it had a happy ending, but it took 6 months and three major misdiagnoses before the large cancerous tumour was eventually discovered.

My guardian angel was certainly on overtime that year!!

But it's the debilitating fatigue that is possibly the giveaway in many cases, never ignore it!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 03:07 PM

My late sister had no symptoms, only the poo test showed blood, she'd had a colonoscopy the year before which showed nothing. The poo test saved her life, well for a few years it did, lots of chemo and all sorts of treatments, sadly none worked as it spread.
My late BIL had no symptoms, one day he had a severe bloated feeling, next he was in hospital dying.
Mum did have diarroeah and blood, she lived over 10 years afterwards with a colostomy.

I get checked regularly, due for colonoscopy soon.

The symptoms can vary so much.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My late sister had no symptoms, only the poo test showed blood, she'd had a colonoscopy the year before which showed nothing. The poo test saved her life, well for a few years it did, lots of chemo and all sorts of treatments, sadly none worked as it spread.
My late BIL had no symptoms, one day he had a severe bloated feeling, next he was in hospital dying.
Mum did have diarroeah and blood, she lived over 10 years afterwards with a colostomy.

I get checked regularly, due for colonoscopy soon.

The symptoms can vary so much.
I so agree...every one is different.

Oh the joy of a colonoscopy!!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I so agree...every one is different.

Oh the joy of a colonoscopy!!!
It's the laxatives that are the worst bit!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

23-05-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's the laxatives that are the worst bit!
Once they kick in, never be downstairs if the loo is upstairs!
Every second counts!!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

23-05-2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Once they kick in, never be downstairs if the loo is upstairs!
Every second counts!!!
Ha! Bungalow here!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 03:44 PM

I heard Deborah James talking on Womans Hour this week.

Last Monday was the second anniversary of the death of my niece's young husband to bowel cancer. She was left a widow with three sons .

Who would have thought the previous summer when they went on a family trip to the USA that M would be dead in less than a year. He thought the change of food while they were away caused constipation so didn't bother seeing a doctor for a while when they came home, by the time he saw a doctor and got a diagnosis it was too late.

Any change it bowel habits is certainly worth discussing with a doctor, better to be cautious than too late .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top