Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 08:07 AM

Re: Cordless tools.

I have a slow-growing fir tree hedge that needs trimming once in a while. A mains driven hedge trimmer is used for the job. I would once have thought about getting a cordless trimmer but that was before getting a battery lawn mower. This is quite gutless if the grass is long.

I suspect a battery hedge trimmer would be the same for the hedge I have, so I wouldn't buy one.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Designed in Manchester but made in China, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Ah - thanks, Ray. It works really well - I am very pleased.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I think I have read that, for best longevity for Li Ion, you should let them fully discharge between cycles of use.
Part true, only run them down to flat every 20-30 charge cycles, otherwise it will give the cells a partial memory effect.
Deffo don't do it each time.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Part true, only run them down to flat every 20-30 charge cycles, otherwise it will give the cells a partial memory effect.
Deffo don't do it each time.....
I am not sure about that - my cordless drill has no memory effect.

Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not sure about that - my cordless drill has no memory effect.

That brought back my memory
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 06:30 PM

My dad had one like that!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Too late now to sway OP's choice but I will simply say that anything bought that is cordless is generally a poor choice. However good and funky the thing looks, be it a cordless vaccum cleaner or hedge trimmer or garden strimmer, the fact is that all you are really buying is a battery and a motor. The technology for batteries is extremely well known and established. Your battery is only going to last a finite time before it stops holding a full charge and then dies altogether. With many batteries you can't afford to let them totally discharge and so need to be constantly topping them up. Not all, but many. Either way, it's just a battery and most batteries for large devices will only last 1 to 2 years imo.

Far better to buy electric corded or petrol garden devices for good longevity.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

09-06-2019, 12:57 PM

Spent an hour and a half in the garden this morning - gave my new cordless trimmer a real 'road test' - and am delighted! It sailed through the Privet hedge like a hot knife through butter, went on to deal with a straggly Spirea, a Snowball bush, a Honeysuckle hedge and a rampant Summer Jasmine.

It is light enough to be comfortable in use - can use it with either hand taking precedence - and the indicators show I only used one third of the charge available.

Cannot be bad - can it??
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Too late now to sway OP's choice but I will simply say that anything bought that is cordless is generally a poor choice. However good and funky the thing looks, be it a cordless vaccum cleaner or hedge trimmer or garden strimmer, the fact is that all you are really buying is a battery and a motor. The technology for batteries is extremely well known and established. Your battery is only going to last a finite time before it stops holding a full charge and then dies altogether. With many batteries you can't afford to let them totally discharge and so need to be constantly topping them up. Not all, but many. Either way, it's just a battery and most batteries for large devices will only last 1 to 2 years imo.

Far better to buy electric corded or petrol garden devices for good longevity.

This is absolute nonsense from someone who clearly has no idea about the subject - I have a number of cordless Makita tools that I use all the time they are so convenient to use and far better and more convenient than corded tools.

The batteries are Li-ion and come with a 2 year warranty so can be expected to last a lot longer than that. Anyway they are cheap enough.

I have to say that if I was starting again I would not buy Makita because they are far too good for the use I put them to. The problem is that once you start with a brand you are stuck with their propriety system - that is a legitimate complaint (though you can buy adapters)

If I was starting again I would buy Ryobi One+ tools they are far cheaper have a wider range and their batteries have a 5 year warranty The quality may not be quite as good as Makita but for your average handyman/tinkerer more than good enough.

BTW I have the inevitable drill as well as:

These photos were taken shortly after I bought them, they don't look quite so shiny now! Don't listen to keyboard warriors with no practical experience.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	171002 010 Makita Tools.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	9783   Click image for larger version

Name:	171006 002 Makita Reciprocating Saw.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	9784  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Spent an hour and a half in the garden this morning - gave my new cordless trimmer a real 'road test' - and am delighted! It sailed through the Privet hedge like a hot knife through butter, went on to deal with a straggly Spirea, a Snowball bush, a Honeysuckle hedge and a rampant Summer Jasmine.

It is light enough to be comfortable in use - can use it with either hand taking precedence - and the indicators show I only used one third of the charge available.

Cannot be bad - can it??
Sounds excellent, good choice. Unfortunately I am stuck with a corded hedge trimmer - the number of times I have come close to cutting the extension cable with it doesn't bear thinking about

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top