Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:31 AM

Corbyn and Council Tax

Hi

Corbyn has revealed his plans for a new property tax.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...ass-homeowners

I have downsized, so it will not affect me, however I know plenty on low incomes in larger older properties.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Re: Corbyn and Council Tax

Is this latest proposal I wonder Labour's final attempt to rid itself of yet more of their remaining supporters (incidentally I am not one)?

Note that this proposal would, if it ever came into force which I doubt, increase all single pensioner's Council Tax (by any other name) by the 25% reduction that it's possible to claim for as a single occupier.

As it is the present Council Tax cost to me, as a person who falls within the category of a single occupier, is £38 a week – nearly £2,000 a year – to empty one wheelie bin! The biggest rip-off ever that must be as it is!

Would this level of personal taxation be tolerated in any other area of life I wonder?

For single people such as myself the Poll Tax was the fairest ever way of collecting this tax – pay for what you use not for what property you own and worked hard for over a working life!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:19 AM

Shows just how out of touch Corbyn is.

We will end up with social housing for everyone. Those taxes are a starting point, expect them to go up even more when he screws the economy and bankrupts the country.

224% increase in taxes for the working man. Nice one labour .... !
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:26 AM

This will be very attractive for the sector of the electorate that is not already lost to the Conservatives and BREXIT. It will attract a big slice of possible Lib/Dem voters and will increase the probability of the next government being Labour.

There's a very great deal of what is beyond envy, it's resentment and even hatred of "Baby Boomers" who have had it all and now mostly live in comfortable retirement being paid for by the younger workers taxes while the opportunities that we had no longer exist for them. Add to that hatred of the things that they have been told to hate and you end up with prime Labour territory.

It's easy for us to think "Pft. No-one would vote for that POS and his cabal" but if we do then we are very wrong.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Note that this proposal would, if it ever came into force which I doubt, increase all single pensioner's Council Tax (by any other name) by the 25% reduction that it's possible to claim for as a single occupier.

As it is the present Council Tax cost to me, as a person who falls within the category of a single occupier, is £38 a week – nearly £2,000 a year – to empty one wheelie bin! The biggest rip-off ever that must be as it is!
$4000 a year seems a bit excessive to me (my council rates are about $1300 with my pensioner discount) but the council does a lot more than collect garbage.

What about the footpaths, roads, libraries, parks, beaches, graffiti, street lighting, leisure centres, swimming pools, public facilities such as halls, rooms etc? All these things are council responsibility too and most are free - council rates go a long way.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Bruce it's quite usual here .
My council taxes are the same ( about $ 4000 in aus dollars) we live in a very small rural property .
In Australia people ( seem to me ) to live in much larger properties and your taxes sound quite reasonable .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
This will be very attractive for the sector of the electorate that is not already lost to the Conservatives and BREXIT. It will attract a big slice of possible Lib/Dem voters and will increase the probability of the next government being Labour.

There's a very great deal of what is beyond envy, it's resentment and even hatred of "Baby Boomers" who have had it all and now mostly live in comfortable retirement being paid for by the younger workers taxes while the opportunities that we had no longer exist for them. Add to that hatred of the things that they have been told to hate and you end up with prime Labour territory.

It's easy for us to think "Pft. No-one would vote for that POS and his cabal" but if we do then we are very wrong.
He has a chance now of getting in I think if possible it's time to emigrate .

Labour encouraged mass immigration and this has lead to insufficient housing availability, and higher prices.

It's not the only cause but it's one no one mentions .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
$4000 a year seems a bit excessive to me (my council rates are about $1300 with my pensioner discount) but the council does a lot more than collect garbage.

What about the footpaths, roads, libraries, parks, beaches, graffiti, street lighting, leisure centres, swimming pools, public facilities such as halls, rooms etc? All these things are council responsibility too and most are free - council rates go a long way.
Also pay around £2k per year here. Yes the bins are collected albeit reluctantly. We do have free libraries although they are slowly disappearing. Swimming pools are not free unless you are on the dole, halls and rooms have to be paid for. I have lived here for about five years now and have only ever seen a street cleaner once. Roads are resurfaced but it's always at the the end of April when councils need to spend some of their budget otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't bother. In fact, we have a local lottery where the proceeds pay for repairing pot holes. I also have to pay to park my car (I don't have a drive) but that does not guarantee me a space.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 01:01 PM

Council tax is one thing, how the council spends it is another.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 03:24 PM

How on earth is this dinosaur so revered by his party? He's a fossil who still lives in the 1970's.
What do people see in a man who wants to taje us 40 years backwards instead of moving forward like we should be.
God help us (no God doesn't exist, but just sayin') if he becomes Prime Minister one day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top