Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 07:40 PM

75 years since D Day

75 years since D Day .
Hundreds of veterans in their nineties are sailing to Normandy to commemorate their fallen comrades
Looks like the celebration service was very moving .
It on the news now .
Listening to those brave old men talking makes you realise what a different world it was then .
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Re: 75 years since D Day

I would normally think what a waste of a life, but these men really did give their lives for our freedom. So very many died - so very sad............but so very grateful too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 10:32 PM

Very sad seeing some of the old footage but nice to see that some of them have kept a sense of balance in their lives and a sense of humour too. They keep saying that we will never forget but I think it is just a matter of time before future generations dismiss the sacrifice made by these brave men.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Very sad seeing some of the old footage but nice to see that some of them have kept a sense of balance in their lives and a sense of humour too. They keep saying that we will never forget but I think it is just a matter of time before future generations dismiss the sacrifice made by these brave men.
I think that's happening already.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think that's happening already.
With fools like Corbyn around, yes that's probably true.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
With fools like Corbyn around, yes that's probably true.
And the preponderance of 'right-on' snowflakes who don't have any faith in the country and no inkling of our proud heritage of invention and accomplishments.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 11:37 PM

I watched all of this commemorate programme today. Absolutely rooted to the TV.

It was very emotional and moving. Seeing the guests in the 'Royal Box', various leaders of countries, I think they too must have been moved, and maybe enlightened as to what sacrifices were made and the incredible logistics etc. It's fine reading it in books but this event today had a far greater impact. Mostly very young men , slaughtered because of one man !

It's on Youtube now.

One veteran said he didn't expect the next generations to consider it of the same importance, as time moves on, and I suppose he's right. We don't have the same feelings about other wars .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2019, 11:45 PM

It was wonderful seeing some of these veterans having a great time sitting in those aircraft and remembering how it was. Harrowing and entertaining stories at the same time.
They were such heroic people not knowing anything at the time what was about to happen that day in 1944.
They deserve our care and support.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 12:14 AM

There just aren't words powerful enough to express the depth of gratitude I have for those men who went fought at Normandy.

I think of them and their families.

Normandy is hallowed ground of the highest order, and I hope I have the honor of visiting it someday.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 06:34 AM

Hi

Some great scenes.

The one I enjoyed most was the two 90 year olds who parachuted again out of a Dakota.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top