Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2009, 09:35 PM

Re: Tea or Coffee???

Does anyone remember those round two-piece glass ones? Looked on Google but can't find a pic; must be using the wrong search terms.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Does anyone remember those round two-piece glass ones? Looked on Google but can't find a pic; must be using the wrong search terms.
It wasn't this one, was it Eileen?

buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2009, 11:11 PM

or was it any of these?

http://www.google.com/products?q=gla...ed=0CCUQrQQwAA
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2009, 11:41 PM

Thanks, but neither. It's hard to describe: like two round glass spheres (like slightly flattened soap bubbles in shape) with a tube between them, and the water from the bottom one bubbled up thru the top with the coffee and filter and then back to the bottom. I'm not imagining this, we had one when I was little; they broke easily; I remember Mom grumbling about how impractical they were, but apparently they made really good coffee as she kept replacing them.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2009, 11:53 PM

This one maybe? The description sounds similar with a glass tube going from top to bottom......
http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.co...html#manhattan
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2009, 12:13 AM

Looked all the way through those links and there aint one like ours, all of them are filter types or electric, to percolate, the water has to boil, pass up a tube then drain through the coffee grounds and back to the bottom, the water goes in a cycle repeatedly until the coffee's ready, this takes up to 20 mins.

The glass one is placed on a filter stand, the electricity boils water in a reservoir which passes up a tube then flows down through the coffee grounds into the glass jar, the water only passes through the coffee once, it does'nt percolate, this is why I like the one we've got and it seems they don't make them any more.

The electric ones work in the same way as the one we've got but they're controlled by a timer and you can't adjust the heat like on a cooker.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2009, 12:40 AM

Found this link, I think this may be the one.

http://thecookskitchen.com/browse_8064&big=1

It's a 2 litre and a good price too.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

23-10-2009, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
This one maybe? The description sounds similar with a glass tube going from top to bottom......
http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.co... /> manhattan
Coincidence, Mags, I found that one when I was Googling also! Very similar, but ours was plain glass, not fancy, and as I recall the upper and lower globes were the same size. It's been a long, long time....maybe my recollection is a bit hazy after all this time. This would be about the late 30s and 40s.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

23-10-2009, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
Found this link, I think this may be the one.

http://thecookskitchen.com/browse_8064&big=1

It's a 2 litre and a good price too.
Thanks, Nero, but no. The old one I'm thinking of was two glass globes. Very similar to the one Mags posted, but not as fancy.

Funny how something like this can bug you, isn't it? Maybe they were only common in the States..???
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2009, 11:39 AM

LOL Dennis I love coffee and drink loads of it! Got the craving from when I worked for the American directors at Chryslers, when they took over Rootes Car Plant! The boss I had drunk coffee all day and as I had to make it for him - I made one for myself!! I drink a cup of tea first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Also, had a cup of tea with my dinner!

Coffee forever!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top