Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 09:19 PM

Re: Transitioning at 16 too young?

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Can see that underage people wishing surgery may be requested to sign disclaimer.
don't blame them really Cindy. I think that's a good idea then they can't sue.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
What has your post got to do with transitioning from m/f or vice versa?
Hi

Everything.

Puberty is a difficult thing, the hormones are raging and life is different.

Not the right time to be making life changing decisions.

I have never been attracted to my younger sisters, never wanted to be one of them, weird things, best avoided.

Then one day the hormones kicked in.

Their friends suddenly became less annoying and far more attractive,

My little sisters where still as annoying, but their friends attractive and interesting.

That is life.

My daughter went through the same, loads of boyfriends, but later decided she preferred women to men.

That happened years later when she was old enough to make a decision and not be confused by hormones.

She is as happy as Larry and I am happy for her.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 10:02 PM

Firstly being legal doesn't make it right.

Secondly absolutely NOTHING done using any NHS resources of anything from an aspirin to a full blown start to finish program and aftercare. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Gornisht.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 11:55 PM

Some great comments on here. But to respond to some:

1/. It has only been in recent years that medicine has developed treatments focusing on gender related situations, probably due to a greater "acceptance" of one's sexual tendencies.

2/. Ironically, being straight or gay has little bearing on what gender one is. It is entirely feasable that a male "born into" a female body actually has sexual tendencies towards females.

3/. There are plenty of birth defect physiological things which one might think the NHS should provide treatment for. The question comes down to whether one thinks that gender is a physiological (including psychiatric) or psychological issue. This is what needs to be determined in individual circumstances on a case by case basis, and which will (hopefully) limit the trendy fad syndrome which a fair few people will be going through.

On the whole, one would imagine that since most corrective surgery operations are carried out, where possible, when the body is fully developed, it would make sense to wait for gender based procedures and physically alerating treatments to only take place when the body has matured. This is usually a few years after the age of 16.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Can see that underage people wishing surgery may be requested to sign disclaimer.
I don't understand how that would work as they are not deemed to have full capacity until they are 18. It's passing the buck to say their parents sign it. That removes the party carrying out treatment from blame.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->

3/. There are plenty of birth defect physiological things which one might think the NHS should provide treatment for. The question comes down to whether one thinks that gender is a physiological (including psychiatric) or psychological issue. This is what needs to be determined in individual circumstances on a case by case basis, and which will (hopefully) limit the trendy fad syndrome which a fair few people will be going through.

The problem with the cacophony of flag waving campaigners is that funding for truly complex genetic conditions that may not be so trendy is diverted. It seems those who shout loudest are heard but they are not necessarily those with the greatest need.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The problem with the cacophony of flag waving campaigners is that funding for truly complex genetic conditions that may not be so trendy is diverted. It seems those who shout loudest are heard but they are not necessarily those with the greatest need.

I agree. This is often the case in many things.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2020, 12:46 AM

Fair point
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-12-2020, 01:02 AM

I have some friends who have a daughter with progressive severe SMA. She is on the cusp of puberty. Gender identity will be the last thing on her mind. In a wheelchair since early childhood, she is hoping for a drug to be approved so that deterioration in her condition can be slowed so that she survives through to adulthood. Every year is a challenge in survival. Some people don't have a choice of changing the body they are born into.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-12-2020, 01:51 AM

I have some friends who have a daughter with progressive severe SMA. She is on the cusp of puberty. Gender identity will be the last thing on her mind. In a wheelchair since early childhood, she is hoping for a drug to be approved so that deterioration in her condition can be slowed so that she survives through to adulthood. Every year is a challenge in survival. Some people don't have a choice of changing the body they are born into.
Thoughts go out to them. Over the years I've known a few pupils with conditions who died all too soon. Without exception, they were the cheeriest and polite people one could ever hope to meet. They had so much they could complain and be bitter about, and it was a humbling honour to have known them.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top