Join for free
Page 22 of 28 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Re: Had enough of the UK

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'd love to go somewhere else to live eventually but where would you choose?
The Netherlands or Belgium - nice & flat.

It's a bugger legging it uphill nowadays.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
The Netherlands or Belgium - nice & flat.

It's a bugger legging it uphill nowadays.
I like Holland and they speak perfect English too but if I was retiring I'd prefer somewhere warm all year round. Msybe Tenerife?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 06:02 PM

I have friends who started life in UK then moved to Australia and then wanted a freer style of life perhaps and moved to Thailand and Malaysia. You are required to have a fixed amount of collateral in the bank and then live off your transferred pension. They seem to be very happy.

I don't think it matters where you go as long as you like it but the big challenge is deciding to go in the first place. It sometimes feels like a leap of faith but thousands of retirees do it. However more stay behind because they like the UK lifestyle and if "escape to the country" is anything to go by there does seem to be plenty of beautiful place still in UK as long as you have some financial collateral.

The world is still our oyster - just pick your oyster!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I'd love to go somewhere else to live eventually but where would you choose? Even quiet, placid places like New Zealand or Holland are dangerous.
There would be so many questions before you'd choose the right place. And then there's the weather: floods, fires, earthquakes....
Living is dangerous; you don't get out of it alive.

1970s Europe was a far more dangerous place due to terrorism than today a fact which often gets forgotten.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

1970s Europe was a far more dangerous place due to terrorism than today a fact which often gets forgotten.
You're probably right Bruce. It wouldn't bother me to be honest, unless I was renting a flat in Beirut or Yemen. They could burst into anyone's house, wherever they are in the world to be honest.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 09:18 AM

Yes at least we don't have the extremes of nature in the UK... that's a plus I suppose
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I have friends who started life in UK then moved to Australia and then wanted a freer style of life perhaps and moved to Thailand and Malaysia. You are required to have a fixed amount of collateral in the bank and then live off your transferred pension. They seem to be very happy.

I don't think it matters where you go as long as you like it but the big challenge is deciding to go in the first place. It sometimes feels like a leap of faith but thousands of retirees do it. However more stay behind because they like the UK lifestyle and if "escape to the country" is anything to go by there does seem to be plenty of beautiful place still in UK as long as you have some financial collateral.

The world is still our oyster - just pick your oyster!
I don't like oysters; horrible, tasteless things which is probably why they are usually drenched in vinegar before swallowing.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Dead right Brucy. If you will forgive the pun.
I don't think anybody who is worrying about things like weather/
earthquakes/ volcano's/ sharks/ snakes etc should consider moving
at all, stay where you are.
Every country has its own dangers,and if you aren't prepared to
accept them,don't go.
However, you will never know what you are missing,and you may
live to regret not going.
Best. Regards. Donkeyman.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 08:37 PM

The only problem with Canada is that it is only habitable for 5 months of the year for the rest it is too bloody cold.

Interesting looking place though - never been there it was one of the three countries I applied to go to when I was 19 (Oz won)

In the 80's we emigrated to Canada with our two children Bruce - we went to Calgary. Although it was cold in the winters, -25 degrees and more sometimes, it is a dry cold not the sort of cold we get here and people do get geared up for it and enjoy the winters outside as they do the summers. Once the snow comes it stays until the thaw, but nobody stops driving and it is still easy enough to get about. They don't have to stay in. They just equip their cars and dress to cope and away they go. The country is just as spectacular in the winter as it is in the summers - more so many would say.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
In the 80's we emigrated to Canada with our two children Bruce - we went to Calgary. Although it was cold in the winters, -25 degrees and more sometimes, it is a dry cold not the sort of cold we get here and people do get geared up for it and enjoy the winters outside as they do the summers. Once the snow comes it stays until the thaw, but nobody stops driving and it is still easy enough to get about. They don't have to stay in. They just equip their cars and dress to cope and away they go. The country is just as spectacular in the winter as it is in the summers - more so many would say.
Sounds very nice..
I have relatives living Winnipeg, went there in the 40s ,only came
back once to see what they were missing,never saw them again,
I wonder why?
May l ask why you returned?
Best regards..Donkeyman.

Page 22 of 28 « First < 12 20 21 22 23 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top