Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Pug ->
I rather liked the magic horse + rider,that 'Abracadabra'd' his way onto the screen right beside the carriage,at 02.26 seconds.
Makes a 'magician' sitting in a glass box for 44 days seem tame,by comparison...

Nice one. .

Did you also clock the bearded man waving his titfer at his mates in the crowd. Must have realised the pubs were just about to open so he did a runner at 2.01. Queen or no queens visit it's all about priorities innit it. Another nifty bit of disappearing magic if ever there was one
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 12:41 PM

I didn't think they really ate clothes either LD, thankfully we haven’t seen any moths in the house for years now.

In the posh part of Dublin 4 they pronounce Moths as Mods, and I can remember as a child a cartoon strip in a children’s comic called “Maud the Moth”.

About eight years ago we bought an expensive mattress from a well known store in town. After a week or so I started scratching in the bed, then the wife started scratching too, we couldn’t figure out why. then when she was making up the bed next morning she spotted several bed bugs, at the side of the mattress was a small hole and when I opened it up more there were thousands of the little buggers all huddled together in a big ball of movement, and in a brand new mattress!!.
We never had bed bugs in all the years we lived here which would be most of our married life, they obviously came with the mattress.
Anyway we informed the store and sent them photo’s, they said it had nothing to do with them so we contacted a solicitor, presented him with all the evidence and he sorted it out quickly. The whole house had to be fumigated by Rent a Kill and the wife had to have medical treatment she was in such a state over the whole thing, it was a very traumatic time for her, she still has nightmares about it to this day and always checks the mattress before she gets into bed.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Ye gawds... now you have gone and done it Jem .

Why is it that just reading the very mention of bed bugs or head lice and you can't help but start scratching uncontrollably .

I remember as a youngster my Mother going absolutely ballistic after allowing me to stay overnight at a friends house and I came back home badly bitten by bed bugs. Fair scared the wits out of me as I thought with that kind of reaction I was going to die. If she had got hold of my friends mother that day she would have tarred and feathered her for sure.

Mother eventually calmed down, bites went and I survived but lost a friend.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2019, 10:11 PM

Yes bugs in a bed, horrible things, I remember writing about it on this forum at the time. Enough about that, but in a new mattress!, it just goes to show you you can’t be sure of anything can you.

Thinking about this plastic problem again, I’m sure they already have a few genetically modified humans walking around the place at the present time without anyone knowing about it, so what if with all they know now about genetics and body part transplants, they came up with a creature that eats plastic? you could have one in every household, and they could double for pets as well, they could make them any size and shape so they could fit under the sink or one could make a little sort of kennel for it to put outside with the bins, all you’d have to do is give it a kick in the arse and it opens it’s mouth, hey presto! the plastic is gone forever!
Just think of the advantage of it, no pet food bills, no recycling bin charges, his/her waste would probably be good for the garden too, and a nice little companion to keep you company. albeit an extremely ugly one judging by the designers of today.
I think i remember reading about some rats that actually thrive on eating plastic cables, scientists could start to work from that, keep them busy and stop them telling us everything we like is bad for us and looking for black holes that ain’t there.
Pug would be the man for figuring all the ins and outs of the creature, he’s brilliant at equations and stuff like that, go for it Pug put your name on the international stage!

Had David Lean got a brother called Terry Lean? I know he had a wrinkly old Aunt called Crimp Lean, then you have his two sisters, Polly, Esther.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 04:51 AM

Well,in reality Jem,plastic as we know it isn't made correctly.
By which I mean,during the manufacturing of plastic for everyday use,acetone is deliberately kept out of the process.
Adding it to the process of manufacture WILL enable many forms of plastic to slowly degenerate,eventually disappearing into sub-structure form,that can be then used as fertilisers.
The other enzyme known to dissolve the more complex forms of plastic,is
Ideonella sakaiensis 201-F6. THIS little warrior can dissolve plastic into totally,within six weeks of being applied. There's now been an update to it's formula,known as the 'mutant enzyme',which actually has already showed it's ability to completely dissolve ALL types of plastic/poly,in 20% less time than it's original version!

So,chins up,mate-humans may be daft-but as a rule,we do [usually] try to fix our mistakes. Ask that nice Mr Midgely why he thought putting lead in petrol was a good idea.
...bit of an ''oops'' moment,that-but gradually,we're getting it sorted,mate.
solo
UK

23-05-2019, 10:03 AM

Good to know we are onto solving this plastic posing problem...the idea of a genetically engineered household plastic eating pet sounds perfect... except pets with or without a kicking tend to poop (crap) all over the place..and that poop still contains plastic.

PETAase does sound perfect for the job but there again we may end up with another Japanese HuaWei type problem which is not to be woofed at...so I will stay with the pooping pug idea and lets hope it doesn't bite the hand that feeds it .

Thats me all P'd out so I will pop orf fer now.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:03 AM

I lectured in textiles , my students were late teens/early twenty somethings who needed to have attended a commodity based certificate.

I led my students for 3 years & they mostly completed successfully, based on classwork, homework & something else, forgotten.

I had the previous incumbents notes, my own fabric & raw material samples & loads of confidence.
BTW
I also marked the exam papers

BTW
Terylene is made from ETHYLENE GLYCOL (antifreeze).

I have forgotten most of what I knew, but some things are lodged in my brain.

BOMBYX MORI
the larvae of the SILK moth, whose cocoons are made from silk thread

RETTING
Steeping the Flax leaves/stems in stagnant water to separate the strong linen fibres from the gunk.

BOCSUAT
An acronym for remembering the 7 stages in the production of cotton yarn, for weaving

Breaking
Opening
Cleaning
Scutching
Uniforming
Attenuating
Twisting

I have a low boredom threshold so gave it up after the 3rd years

You never know what other people know?!

YOU ARE ALL SO CLEVER
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Why the 'you are all so clever' sarcasm ,RJ?
Jem asked me a question.
I answered it...without once feeling the need to mention how many degrees I hold.
MAN,this site really is becoming toxic,of late.
solo
UK

23-05-2019, 04:40 PM

I'm not clever as I only use my brain when I want to..and thats not very clever now is it. My philosophy has always been 'don't clutter up such a small space'.

Funny how odd things stick in your mind though. Take Latin. This little Twinkle, Twinkle little star verse has stuck after all these years, mainly because our Latin teacher insisted on accompaning every word of it by banging a book on our heads to make sure the poem was rammed firmly into our tiny brains. It worked..

Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific
Loftily poised in the ether capacious
Strongly resembling a gem carbonaceous!...and so on

However thanks to him and his teaching I also say when it is needed. “Flocci non faccio" or something similar .
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
Why the 'you are all so clever' sarcasm ,RJ?
Jem asked me a question.
I answered it...without once feeling the need to mention how many degrees I hold.
MAN,this site really is becoming toxic,of late.
Wrong wrong wrong.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top