Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:28 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by solo ->
Thanks Longdogs . Update..... Guess what moths can't swim. 2 for the price of one who have now gone orf hand in hand

Ha! Brilliant!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I didn't think they really ate clothes either LD, thankfully we haven’t seen any moths in the house for years now.

In the posh part of Dublin 4 they pronounce Moths as Mods, and I can remember as a child a cartoon strip in a children’s comic called “Maud the Moth”.

About eight years ago we bought an expensive mattress from a well known store in town. After a week or so I started scratching in the bed, then the wife started scratching too, we couldn’t figure out why. then when she was making up the bed next morning she spotted several bed bugs, at the side of the mattress was a small hole and when I opened it up more there were thousands of the little buggers all huddled together in a big ball of movement, and in a brand new mattress!!.
We never had bed bugs in all the years we lived here which would be most of our married life, they obviously came with the mattress.
Anyway we informed the store and sent them photo’s, they said it had nothing to do with them so we contacted a solicitor, presented him with all the evidence and he sorted it out quickly. The whole house had to be fumigated by Rent a Kill and the wife had to have medical treatment she was in such a state over the whole thing, it was a very traumatic time for her, she still has nightmares about it to this day and always checks the mattress before she gets into bed.
How terrible. I'm scratching just thinking about it. That was another of those old fashioned things people used to say... 'Don't let the bed bugs bite' but you never imagine it can come true. I suppose we are lucky these days really but years ago, they had these problems all the time poor sods.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Wrong wrong wrong.
Three Wrongs don't make a Right right.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I lectured in textiles , my students were late teens/early twenty somethings who needed to have attended a commodity based certificate.

I led my students for 3 years & they mostly completed successfully, based on classwork, homework & something else, forgotten.

I had the previous incumbents notes, my own fabric & raw material samples & loads of confidence.
BTW
I also marked the exam papers

BTW
Terylene is made from ETHYLENE GLYCOL (antifreeze).

I have forgotten most of what I knew, but some things are lodged in my brain.

BOMBYX MORI
the larvae of the SILK moth, whose cocoons are made from silk thread

RETTING
Steeping the Flax leaves/stems in stagnant water to separate the strong linen fibres from the gunk.

BOCSUAT
An acronym for remembering the 7 stages in the production of cotton yarn, for weaving

Breaking
Opening
Cleaning
Scutching
Uniforming
Attenuating
Twisting

I have a low boredom threshold so gave it up after the 3rd years

You never know what other people know?!

YOU ARE ALL SO CLEVER
Pug,

Upon reviewing my post it does appear rather boastful.
It was not my intent for this to be.
I was merely reminiscing about a period in my past life, which I thought might be of interest to others.. I have not always been a boring old fart, you know.

BTW, I failed all my GCE's' & am in awe of your book learning & POLYMATH status et al.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 08:23 PM

POST 14967 REFERS

YOU ARE ALL SO CLEVER

Self deprecating, not sarcastic..

Sorry folks

I am at a funny age.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 08:28 PM

RJ, are you 69?

That always gets a laugh.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2019, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
RJ, are you 69?

69?
Spitty, spare a thought for my decrepit knees and elbows.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2019, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
RJ, are you 69?

SPITTY, now that''s clever on more than one level.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

23-05-2019, 08:53 PM

Time for my cocoa.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 09:13 PM

Ah it gladdens me heart to see you all in such great form.
Life’s too short for arguments folks, who cares who’s clever and who’s stupid, I don’t and I’m happy to be included in the latter, it’s all only a bit of harmless craic after all.

Naturally I didn’t mean to be cruel to the plastic eating creature Solo, I’m very fond of animals, there would be a stump on it’s ass made of the same stuff as horses hoofs ,completely without feeling and used to activate the big mouth.Tut tut one would not kick a lovable creature like that in the ass just for pleasure.

Activating big mouths ummm, deactivating them is much harder, now take my wife…

So there is hope yet, like the man going into the confession box and the man sitting in the bath, one has hope in his soul and the other has soap…, Dear old Father Kavanagh told me that one many years ago, God be good to him, he was way ahead of his time and his heart was on the side of the ordinary folk.
Thanks Pug for sharing your knowledge on the subject, yeh never let me down.

RJ I didn’t know you gave lectures on fabrics, fair play to you, a true man of the ‘cloth’
There are so many different types of plastics about now, but to the common Joe Soap like myself they’re all just plastic, a rose by any other name and all that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top