Join for free
Page 47 of 95 « First < 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 08:48 PM

Re: What book are you reading now?

I just finished The Last Tudor by Philippa Gregory I really enjoyed it but have to admit I have read most of her novels. What a baitch Elizabeth 1st was

Also just read The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye. Continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series by David Lagercrantz, I enjoyed it but not as much as the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 02:46 AM

A little different, but I've bought Bruce Dickinson's autobiography to read over Christmas.
Dickinson is the lead vocalist with rock band Iron Maiden. He is also a qualified jumbo jet pilot, semi-professional fencer, childrens book author and has beaten cancer twice.
Should be an excellent read.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
. What a bitch Elizabeth 1st was
Only according to someone who didn't know her and is constructing an entertaining novel. Let's face it - all historical novels are imagined and embellished. We don't even know our own Royals, so what chance have we to understand the workings of someone's mind from centuries ago?

Having said that, monarchs couldn't afford to be compassionate and cuddly, so I've no doubt none of them would win any popularity contests.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 08:51 AM

The Last Republicans a book about George H. W. Bush and his eldest son George W.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

Brilliant writing as always from this woman.
The theme of white supremacy and rampant racism in the US.
Very sensitively handled, a real eye opener.
Just getting to the courtroom drama now, I'm heading for some late nights!
It's sounds good usually after a Jodi Picoult one feels like ending it all
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's sounds good usually after a Jodi Picoult one feels like ending it all
No no no!!

Intense as always, and shocking too, but a great read, and don't expect the ending as it's a real surprise!

But it does make you understand how and why youngsters become so easily radicalised.

I confess there were some chapters I skip read (can't believe I'm admitting to such a crime!!) because I wanted to get into the courtroom drama!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 05:56 PM

I am reading "The Hundred Year Old Man who climbed out of a Window and escaped" by Jonas Jonasson. A humorous story which is just what the title says. A good bit of light reading, for a change.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 06:54 PM

If you go for thrilling page turners then this isn't for you...
But if you love a book that is beautifully written and draws you in so that you feel you're sinking into a warm bath...

It's about everyday life in a village when a young girl goes missing...but as the days and seasons and years go by you're so immersed in the lives of the villagers and almost forget the original tragedy.

A really incredible piece of writing.

Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor, winner of the 2017 Costa Novel Award.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
A little different, but I've bought Bruce Dickinson's autobiography to read over Christmas.
Dickinson is the lead vocalist with rock band Iron Maiden. He is also a qualified jumbo jet pilot, semi-professional fencer, childrens book author and has beaten cancer twice.
Should be an excellent read.
He flew us to Norway a few years back.
Fudge
New Member!
Wales
Fudge is female 

10-01-2018, 02:37 PM

Just finished reading Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough and was completely taken by surprise by the amazing ending. It wouldn't be for everyone as it's a thriller that has elements of the paranormal but that ending had the best twist I've ever come across. If you're a fan of Stephen King you'd probably enjoy this book.

Page 47 of 95 « First < 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top