Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 06:41 PM

Do you find that you never stop learning?

I generally spend quite some time online in the course of a week and it's really surprising what can be learned on there. This caught my attention, despite it being on BBC Bitesize, a website for youngsters 4-14 years' of age.

This was all about medical breakthroughs and the collaboration between scientists in producing a vaccine for Covid-19, showing how medical discoveries change people’s lives all the time. There is also interesting information on how surgeons are operating on patients remotely, using modern technology.

Youngsters today are so lucky to have such opportunities while in education, much of this was denied me and probably many others too, by the need to start work as soon as possible. For me this was starting my first job on the Monday after leaving school the previous Friday.

"As well as the research that's taken place to tackle Coronavirus, there’s a chance you may have been told about penicillin, insulin and the smallpox vaccine at school.

But there are also breakthroughs and research that we may not necessarily have heard about before, but still have the potential to change patients’ lives. Bitesize contacted three medical researchers and asked what they would put forward as discoveries which may not be well-known, but are still amazing."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z2t3ydm
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 06:45 PM

Re: Do you find that you never stop learning?

A day not learning, is a day wasted.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 06:47 PM

What Judd said
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A day not learning, is a day wasted.
Yes, quite agree with that, although I have still to figure out what I am to do with all this knowledge! It's not as though I can ever catch up with what I missed out on at school and I will never be working again either.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:05 PM

I receive the BBC news letter monthly, around about... I will share with you an unusual Fruit from the past..Was very popular at one time, but went out of fashion for some reason..
Yes, there are some interesting articles from time to time worth signing up and give it a try..can always unsubscribe if need be..
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...e-world-forgot

the latest received today..not read it myself as yet...have more past issues if anybody want to read them...
https://outlook.live.com/mail/0/inbo...BFXFJCwAAAA%3D
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:10 PM

The BBC.? <retching icon> far to woke and left wing, dont listen or watch any of their anti British propaganda.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:10 PM

Yes, I never stop learning. By the same token, I also continue to forget.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes, I never stop learning. By the same token, I also continue to forget.
That will be the Buffalo Theory….

The Buffalo Theory as told by Cliff Clavin: No one can explain this as well as Cliff Clavin, on Cheers. One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm. and here's how it went:

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."
I noticed that after the third beer during the semi against Denmark.
Chillie6
Bristol UK
Chillie6 is male  Chillie6 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:23 PM

Yep likewise learn something everyday

As they say every day is a schoolday
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2021, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
That will be the Buffalo Theory….

I noticed that after the third beer during the semi against Denmark.
Ha! Ha! Ha!
Phew! That means im ok !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top