Join for free
Page 31 of 370 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2016, 09:20 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
You can bite off more than you can chew for sure.

Endurance athlete, 45, dies while trying to swim the English Channel
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/704...nglish-Channel

Fit as a proverbial fiddle. Got in to difficulties after 16 hours! Long time to be exerting yourself.
Don't think it matters how fit you are when Hypothermia sets in Mark.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Don't think it matters how fit you are when Hypothermia sets in Mark.
The article didn't mention the cause of death so I didn't either. I figured it would be interesting to know what it was (at a later date). Not sure hypothermia would be allowed to set in as he must have had a backup team monitoring his condition.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2016, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
The article didn't mention the cause of death so I didn't either. I figured it would be interesting to know what it was (at a later date). Not sure hypothermia would be allowed to set in as he must have had a backup team monitoring his condition.
No they didn't mention the cause Mark but I'd put money it that was the reason.
It happens so fast and even a backup team wouldn't have got to him in time, it happened to me while swimming in the sea at Newquay.

It was a very hot day and I swam too far, fortunately I had just left the water when I collapsed. I was soon in the back of an ambulance and speeding my way to hospital with a suspected heart attack. It was found that I was suffering from hypothermia and five more minutes in the sea would have been curtains for me. Once it gets beyond a certain point there is no coming back.

It turns out that because I was fit (Training to run marathons then) my heart rate was normally low (around 40 bpm) and did not respond quickly enough to warm me up.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2016, 09:52 PM

Been waiting all day for the cause of death and it's still not forthcoming.

Isn't it usually heart, hypothermia, or one if those nasty bugs they get in polluted sea water
?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-08-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Been waiting all day for the cause of death and it's still not forthcoming.

Isn't it usually heart, hypothermia, or one if those nasty bugs they get in polluted sea water
?
No.....

With a well trained athlete it will either be overheating or overcooling that does for them. (Heatstroke or Hypothermia)
or spending too much time on Over 50's Forum!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 11:35 AM

Sorry to hear of your mishap Floydy and I hope you are back on your feet tomorrow......However. After reading about your 11 day layoff this morning I almost replied with this:-

No runner would ever behave like this. I have run every other day for almost forty years. Consistency is the most important feature of any athletes armoury, it is more beneficial than any other form of training. Even if you have to do less at each session, as far as running is concerned less is more. Layoffs are almost always followed by injury. I don't mean to sound condescending Floydy, but the human body will perform amazing things but it needs time to adjust to the tasks it is being set. To carry on where you left off after a layoff is destructive and the older you get the more prone to a breakdown you will be, not to mention the recovery time that extends with every year of your life..
Very good post, OGF
I'm well aware of the effects of jumping back into any sort of training routine after a week's (or more) abstaination, I advise others not to do this for the same reasons.
I sometimes do things on a whim though, and having had so many areas to catch up on, I decided to do a somewhat more intensive session than I would normally do on a return. Usually a workout like the above would have been done as a regular session, not after 11 days of 'rest'.
There were many reasons for my 'sabbatical period', things to do at home etc., but next time I must tell myself to ease myself back into it, not go the whole hog and rupture something!

I'm much better today after treating the area with alternate cold and hot remedies but the niggle is still hanging on. I'll be continuing with the rest of the session and adding some leg work too, with plenty of stretches to follow.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2016, 02:31 PM

And so we're back again with today’s catch-up, which was taken carefully. My back is much improved from yesterday’s extreme killer pain but the inflammation is still present and no way did it need further aggravation, therefore most of my planned exercises were either reduced in weight or discarded completely, depending on the extent of ‘pulling’ motion required.

An even bigger blow was experienced when BOTH leg presses were found to be out of order, a disastrous sight on what would have been predominantly a legs session. But I got around that in a fashion with some good hack squats – and surprisingly some very heavy weight, which didn’t niggle my niggle – so all in all a bit of a bodged session but it hit the spot and with no harm done...

Monday 29/8/16 – Legs, biceps:

1. Hack squat:
10x100
10x150
8x200
4x240

2. Extensions:
10x100
10x100
8x100
*These were paused for about 4 seconds at the top with a slight bounce to invigorate the top of the thighs. Really felt the burn there.

3. Seated ham curls:
11x75
7x80
*Not ideally a good exercise when the lower back starts to twinge. Left it at the 80kg.

4. Good girls:
37x60
23x60
18x60

5. DB hammer curl, alt:
8x15’s
8x15’s
8x15’s
*Some nice new 15kg dumbbells in the gym today, along with some other interim weights too. Saves taking a massive 2kg jump from a 14 to a 16 lol.

6. DB concentration curl, alt:
6x18
6x18
6x18

7. E-Z curl, preacher:
10x28
*I had planned some very heavy stuff on this today (43, 48+kgs) but felt these pull quite severely on my back, so wisely abandoned them after one set.

8. Single DB raise:
25x42
25x42

A few pulldowns on the vertical traction machine to stretch my back a bit.

9. Ab crunch:
16x60
*Again, never a good exercise when you have a dicky back, so stopped it.

Time: 45mins.

A vastly curtailed session but better than nothing I guess. I’ll rest tomorrow but return to the gym on Wednesday with hopefully a better effort.
Time to relax in the garden with Bob Harris’ autobiography and a litre of iced cranberry juice.

Thanks for popping in, hope the bank holiday’s going well
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Glad to hear there are no lasting effects Floydy, I can see you are made of tough stuff....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-08-2016, 04:50 AM

Glad to hear there are no lasting effects Floydy, I can see you are made of tough stuff....
Thanks Mr. Fox
Desperately clinging onto what precious little youth I have left still
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Due to my working hours, my mid-week session is always going to be a sedate and rather laid back affair. The nights take it out of me but as long as I do ‘a bit’, it’s enough to tide me over until the weekend ‘serious’ stuff. Not a lot to note down, but for the sake of the thread…

Wednesday 31/8/16 – Upper, various:

1. Smith incline 60°:
20x30 w/u
6x50
4x60 too heavy!
4x55
*Essentially my version of a shoulder press. Because I can move the bench where I like, I’m not set to an awkward or strict position, which I think is the reason I get so much neck ache.

2. Decline bench:
10x60
6x70
*Really getting to grips with this exercise now.

3. Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
10x60
10x65
6x70

4. E-Z curls:
10x28
10x33

5. Ab crunch:
20x60
10x70
10x75
10x80
20x50
*At least the ab crunches went to plan.

Time: 40mins.

Thanks for reading

Page 31 of 370 « First < 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top