Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 08:15 AM

Should we be retrained?

We pass our test, at whatever age, and then that’s it, unless a driver wants to take further driving courses, they are never assessed, on their driving again, should there be compulsory refresher courses for every driver, at say, every five years, to sit with a driving instructor for an hour or so and make sure our driving standards are up to date...?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Re: Should we be retrained?

Yes primus i think we should all retrain , possibly every 10 years. I would retake a driving test if asked , i do have a problem with the theory test , i have tried online and have yet to pass , i miss by one or two answers . I will keep trying till i pass though .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 08:49 AM

If it was free yes, although I'm sure it would just be another excuse to charge the poor old motorist yet again.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 08:50 AM

Oh i agree LD , im not paying
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
oh i agree ld , im not paying
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 09:06 AM

One already has to apply for a licence every 3 years if over 70 and has more restriction on it like taking a test to drive a 15 seater vehicle which is absolutely stupid, the day before the birthday one can drive this vehicle and the day after one cannot.
What is changed so drastically in 24 hours?

Eye sight tests yes fully agree one should take the DVLC eyesight test, I had to after eye surgery and told to surrender my licence, took test 18 months after and passed. got my licence back no problem
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If it was free yes, although I'm sure it would just be another excuse to charge the poor old motorist yet again.
Not inexpensive either so I am all in favour of a free assessment, plus perhaps an eyesight test to ensure continued safe driving.

I have just paid for my granddaughter's driving test, both the theory and practical, the theory cost £23 and practical £62. Plus of course the cost for her of a double lesson – one hour prior to the test and one hour for the practical test itself.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Perhaps the system could work like this

Every 5 years, a mandatory refresher lesson, must be taken, not a full driving test
You would book your lesson with a govt appointed instructor for a nominal fee, to cover costs,
You use your own car, ( as you will be familiar with all the controls and how it drives)
It could be based on a traffic light system
Green, no problem with your driving
Amber, maybe a few areas need to be worked on, but otherwise ok
Red, then there’s something seriously wrong with your aspect of your driving, maybe you need professional instruction to get you back on the road, maybe the instructor requires you to take further lessons to address the issues,
I suppose the problem would be the nominal fee, I would imagine governments would increase this at every budget, but maybe with a bit of common sense, and if it were left to driving bodies to oversee, and little government intervention, it could work
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 10:07 AM

5 years ago I took part in the free "Drive Safely for Longer" project - a 3-hour assessment for older drivers. It was, at that time, nationwide, but, it seems, the project has either been cut back or now entails a charge (£35, locally).

It's the sort of assessment that every older driver should take periodically.

Designed for drivers aged 60 and over, the course aims to refresh your driving skills and increase your confidence.

You will go out in your own car, on roads you choose with an Approved Driving Instructor who will give you feedback and elements to work on.

The course is split into two sections, part one is a two hour practical session during which your driving style will be observed with guidance offered. The second session is a few months later and aims to evaluate the effectiveness and reinforce the techniques you were taught in session one.
If you want an objective opinion, it's a course worth looking for .....
DaveyJ
South Coast England
DaveyJ is male  DaveyJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 09:40 PM

If people on here think they need to retrain every five years, then I am amazed. The people on the roads I worry about are other drivers as their driving is appalling, ill-mannered, inconsiderate and lacks any anticipation, and they are not old.
Most old drivers who are poor drivers have been poor drivers all their lives I suspect and are not bad drivers because they are old.
This mornings news 63% ? of MPs think older drivers should be retested .. Bring it on I say, come around in the morning and test me with with pleasure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top