Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Leaf blower/vacuum.

I'm thinking of getting a leaf vacuum to make leaf clearing easy. I prefer to vac rather than blow.

Does anybody use one on here & are they any good?

Can you recommend one?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 09:43 AM

Re: Leaf blower/vacuum.

Hi Carol,

We have had so many garden vacs in the past. The one we have now is a BOSCH which seems to be quite good, but they are so heavy to use, but my Husband uses them every day and they only seem to last about 6 months with us.

You need to get a good make though, either BOSCH or FLYMO.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 09:49 AM

I would love one,especially now Autumn is here,but I have no where to store it,have you ever thought to hire,before you buy?..not sure how much it would cost though,I would advise to do my homework on them first,good luck Carol,let us know what you decide,..ps,would it not be better to blow than vac?..vacuuming surely would block it up after a while,my friend bought a vac Hoover for her garden,she has oak trees,it was rubbish apparently.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 10:12 AM

I've got one and yes, they're very handy for clearing leaves but.....anything larger or thicker than a leaf blocks it and then it's a real faff having to unplug it, wrestle the long, heavy pipe bit off and clear the blockage, which is invariably in the bit that shreds the debris, then put it back together again.

Plus as somebody else said, they're heavy. Oh, and because they're electric they're no good in the damp, not just because of the water vs electricity thing but also because wet leaves cause yet more blockages.

If you have a lot of leaves to clear it might be better to use the blower to get them all in one place then pick as many up as you can before vaccing.

I only use mine for getting at the stuff I can't get to with a broom.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 10:15 AM

I agree with all the above. They are really good for picking up leaves quickly but do get a bit heavy after a while and do tend to clog quite a bit.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 10:23 AM

We've got a petrol one and to be honest it's not much good as a vacuum
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
We've got a petrol one and to be honest it's not much good as a vacuum
That surprises me, I would have thought a petrol one would be the best option.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 11:22 AM

I just thought a vac would be best because we have so many pots & shrubs to go round that I don't quite know where I'd blow them to.

I'm having another think about it now.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 11:23 AM

we have an electric leaf vacuum one as well and never use it. it is big and awkward to use, let alone dragging a power cable everywhere.
No the answer is a blower and I can highly recommend one of these.

I have had this for some years and only had to replace the fuel pipes inside once ( an easy job). Even manages to get a right angle waste pipe to fit on the end to get behind bushes.

Don't think it is on sale any longer, but would not hesitate to get similar
With a pair of giant garden hands leaf collection is easy
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 11:54 AM

I haven't got one, I actually enjoy an afternoon raking up the leaves and burning them. As long as it's not windy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top