Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 05:31 PM

Re: Norwich "Happy Brexit day" letter of hate

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I lived and worked in Rome for almost 14 years and never felt any pressure to learn Italian or to integrate. However, my wife and I went to great lengths to become reasonably fluent in the language and to at least chat with a number of our neighbours (they were more interested in learning English from us!).
This is about people trying to stop foreigners speaking to each other in their native language. It's highly likely the victims do speak good English too. But I'm sure you would have wanted to speak English to your wife when in Rome without feeling threatened.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
This is about people trying to stop foreigners speaking to each other in their native language. It's highly likely the victims do speak good English too. But I'm sure you would have wanted to speak English to your wife when in Rome without feeling threatened.
In some places in this country they speak in a foreign language deliberately because they are talking about you Annie...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
In some places in this country they speak in a foreign language deliberately because they are talking about you Annie...
We are not that interesting.

I think people speak their native tongue to each other because it's easier and comes naturally. Just as Brits speak English to each other abroad. The difference is that we go abroad and expect everyone to understand us when we speak our native tongue.

Be honest, if you moved abroad and maybe learned the language of your new home would you speak it to your wife? Or would you still speak English to each other?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:51 PM

We are not that interesting.

I think people speak their native tongue to each other because it's easier and comes naturally. Just as Brits speak English to each other abroad. The difference is that we go abroad and expect everyone to understand us when we speak our native tongue.

Be honest, if you moved abroad and maybe learned the language of your new home would you speak it to your wife? Or would you still speak English to each other?

English is an international language so it's ok in my view to expect people in other countries to speak it. If people in britain dont speak it then they are not integrating and that's a problem.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-02-2020, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
English is an international language so it's ok in my view to expect people in other countries to speak it. If people in britain dont speak it then they are not integrating and that's a problem.
It's an international language because of the British Empire, which incidentally is why we have so many "foreigners" living here.

This issue is about people not speaking English to each other when they are both from another country. That to me is rich given that we would not speak the native language ourselves abroad. Total double standards. The fact is that people who come here these days do speak English. Just not to each other. It may be annoying that other languages exist but the British Empire covered more than half the globe so hardly surprising and we should be more tolerant.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 08:52 AM

It's an international language because of the British Empire, which incidentally is why we have so many "foreigners" living here.

This issue is about people not speaking English to each other when they are both from another country. That to me is rich given that we would not speak the native language ourselves abroad. Total double standards. The fact is that people who come here these days do speak English. Just not to each other. It may be annoying that other languages exist but the British Empire covered more than half the globe so hardly surprising and we should be more tolerant.

It's still an international language because of science and IT.

If people want to speak to each other in a language other than English I personally have no problem with it, I don't know why anyone would, to be honest, but if people come to live here without learning our language, then that;'s a different story.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
It's still an international language because of science and IT.

If people want to speak to each other in a language other than English I personally have no problem with it, I don't know why anyone would, to be honest, but if people come to live here without learning our language, then that;'s a different story.
Agreed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:22 PM

I think people that are abroad and expect to speak English are usually on holiday, not living there permanently. It's not worth learning a language for two weeks. Those people in the tower blocks are here full time and it would be in their own interest to integrate.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-02-2020, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think people that are abroad and expect to speak English are usually on holiday, not living there permanently. It's not worth learning a language for two weeks. Those people in the tower blocks are here full time and it would be in their own interest to integrate.
Brits who live and work abroad don't usually speak the local language to each other. At home, in shops, on the streets or in a restaurant. This is the objection in the letter. Having to listen to people speaking a foreign language to each other.

Foreign workers in some places have in the past protested as they were banned from conversing with each other in their native language during lunch breaks..

Yet in Wales there are two languages and nobody has a problem with that.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 03:15 PM

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...ster-tower_uk_

A Norfolk Police spokeswoman confirmed on Sunday that officers had attended the Winchester Tower on Saturday evening and found that all the posters had been removed. Police collected posters saved by residents for forensic enquiries, and officers are working with the council to examine CCTV footage.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top