Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 06:49 PM

PVD eye trouble

I'd never heard of this before, until I had an annoying flashing light at the side of my eye.
I thought at first it was a migraine coming on, then no headache came and the light kept flashing accompanied by a black "thread".
I rang my GP and she told me to go to the Optician, who diagnosed PVD.
I thought I'd post this in case anyone else has problems.
It's not serious, but, it is annoying, especially in the dark!

http://www.rnib.org.uk/eye-health/ey...detachment-PVD
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Re: PVD eye trouble

Never heard of that Twiz, must be disconcerting, do hope you recover quickly its strange the things that can affect us as we get older.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 09:08 PM

By coincidence, last Thursday I went for a routine follow-up appointment at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and was told that I had vitreous detachment. I was given a full explanation very much the same as the details on the web site above. It is, apparently, more common in people like me who are quite myopic and also if you are diabetic - again like me, I'm afraid!

Although I was told that it is nothing to worry about, and not at all uncommon in people of my age, I was warned that it could lead to retinal tear or detachment and that this is an emergency situation.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 09:41 PM

Did you have flashing lights JBR?
Nom, thank you, I've had a lot of "strange things"!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Did you have flashing lights JBR?
Nom, thank you, I've had a lot of "strange things"!
I have had flashing lights in the past, but not as described; more a single area rather than a collection of small lights. Also, in the past, I have had incidences of sudden appearances of floaters although these were probably related to an occurrence of iritis. Both were reported to my optician, who assured me that they were nothing to worry about.

If what you have is vitreous humour detachment, I shouldn't worry; it is not uncommon at our age and rarely leads to retinal detachment.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 07:36 PM

my son had the lights -and he was told hes diabetec just early stage ' but ofc everyone is different ....good luck ..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top