Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 08:29 PM

Trusting Hospitals

Can you trust Hospitals ? I had to have an assessment at one Hospital before having minor surgery at another. I had been told to stop taking warfarin, the assessment nurse asked if Id bee given injections instead and was very annoyed to hear I hadnt Then yesterday I had minor surgery on three places,two are covered but one near my ear is open. This morning I opene the bag the Hospital sent home with me, and found a tube of Eye Ointment and two satches of Oral Jelly .Black currant flavour. Puzzled I managed to contact the surgeon, he said he prescribeed the Eye ointment for the open wound on my neck,but he didnt prescribe the Oral Jelly and has no idea what its for,so do not take . Good thing I Checked.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 08:47 PM

Re: Trusting Hospitals

Good thing indeed Deylon, Hospitals seem to be getting more confused as they keep getting busier, best to double check everything before taking or applying it.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 08:50 PM

I think we all need to be very vigilant about our health and never assume the medics know us best
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 09:39 PM

I agree that we all need to be vigilant with our own health and if we think something may be amiss then to always get it double checked before taking anything.
Hospitals are getting busier and busier and the staff and doctors are stretched so mistakes can happen but im sure they are rare so best not to worry too much.
Ive had lots of dealings with the hospital here for the last year and it will be ongoing still, ive found the staff and doctors to be extremely efficient and caring under a heavy workload.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 10:02 PM

I'm a bit wary since I had an op on my foot and had to write my some of my own notes as the nurse couldn't spell words in English!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 10:19 PM

I'm under two hospitals for ongoing stuff.

And, no, I don't trust them to get things right all the time.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 11:02 PM

I worked for the NHS for more than 20 years and I wouldn't trust them! They employed hundreds of foreign nurses who could barely speak english!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 03:54 AM

Never will I trust our local hospital.

My mother was suffering from a serious spine problem that was beginning to affect her upper arms.

On the 4th September 2015 at 17.30 she was admitted as a day patient to have a scan, after a lot of confusion between the trauma team and A&E it was deemed too late(1930)to carry out the scan and they'd do it the following morning so I left her at 2000hrs.

The following morning at about 0930 I received a call to say she'd been rushed to Salford Royal and could I attend immediately.

Upon arrival I was ushered into the ward where I found a very distraught mother, her neck in a collar and her breathing laboured she'd also sustained a head injury with a 6cm bruise to her forehead.

The doctors took me to one side and explained that my mum had been taken down for her scan(at the other hospital)and she'd banged her head this had resulted in a broken neck which had left her quadraplegic, no movement from the neck down. She can't feed herself, can't even blow her nose and is now in a hospice, dying.

The nursing staff had put her on a trolley after her scan and not locked the cot rail in position, my mother had leant against it and it gave way. She fell to the floor banging her head on the tiles which broke her neck.

So no, I don't trust hospitals as they employ some idiotic people which is a great shame as this reflects badly on the good ones.

Mind you this is the same hospital that employed a nurse that went on to kill some of his patients.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Deylon didn't they go through the meds with you when you left ? All my experiences with leaving hospitals they lay out all the meds and explain them, giving written instructions on a separate sheet too. They don't let you go until one member of the party leaving with the patient or the patient understands it all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:46 PM

My mum broke her hip after falling off a bed where the side hadnt been put up.
I had my appendix out and they're managed to stick my guts together. Apparently they should use oil to stop this happening.
There's a lot of bowel cancer in our family so it's really handy that they can't view anything past the adhesions now if I have a colonoscopy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top