Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Re: The troubled history of clinical drug trials

Worse are experiments that are carried out without the knowledge of the "participant".

During Operation MK ULTRA American soldiers were subjected to doses of LSD at Edgewood Arsenal without their knowledge, and then denied medical assistance for those suffering permanent damage because the experiments were "classified". These experiments carried on until 1975.

During The Tuskegee Experiment Black-American military veterans were not told they'd contracted syphilis. Instead they were simply observed and/or experimented upon until their death. These experiments carried on until 1972.

In the 50's and 60's the Americans released gasses in populated areas such as New York, San Francisco, Canada and the UK to determine how easy it would be to expose large numbers of people to a lethal bacteria.

Here is just a taste of it:
http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/nia...pons-a-history
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
Worse are experiments that are carried out without the knoewledge of the "particepant".

During Operation
What would these be AO?
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 04:51 PM

I don't think I would but my late husband did when he had CML (leukemia).

He trialed a drug that was then known as STI 571. It later was known as Imatinib and then it's trade name of Glivic.

There are a whole generation of drugs available now that end with nib that are a similar formulation treating a whole host illnesses ...

My husband was in a trial group of six and he and another chap had excellent responses to the drug with no side effects whatsoever, some of the others weren't so lucky, excessive vomiting and generally feeling yuck.

Ryan O'Neal has the same leukemia and was put on that drug and is still here today possibly on variation of the nib by now. The last time I was in the loop (approx eight years ago) the grandson of Imatinib was being trialled. When they get a winner they don't stop but barrel ahead at great speed.

I've seen many different drugs being trialled with varying successes and disasters.

I pray I'm never in the position where I have to chose.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
What would these be AO?

Sorry Aysa. I hit the wrong button at the wrong time. I've managed to edit it. Take another look at it.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Ok thanks AO
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

26-02-2016, 06:34 PM

Ok thanks AO
Don't thank me yet, Aysa. Once you start reading it you'll curse me for providing the link.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

26-02-2016, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
Don't thank me yet, Aysa. Once you start reading it you'll curse me for providing the link.
It doesnt suprise me AO
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

26-02-2016, 07:11 PM

It doesnt suprise me AO
Oh. It's worse than I thought then, Aysa.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

26-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Whats new about innocent people being used as guinea pigs unknowingly ..?
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden

26-02-2016, 07:40 PM

Whats new about innocent people being used as guinea pigs unknowingly ..?
Would you ask "what's new about beheadings"?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top