Join for free
Page 8 of 16 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 04:47 PM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Just eaten some of the first batch. They were fantastic, so tasty compared to shop bought.

LD they look great.
Home grown taste very different from the commercially grown ones don't they which are grown for yield not flavour.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LD they look great.
Home grown taste very different from the commercially grown ones don't they which are grown for yield not flavour.
Thanks Meg. I had to resist letting them grow too big as apparently they are tastier when slightly smaller than those bought in a shop.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks Meg. I had to resist letting them grow too big as apparently they are tastier when slightly smaller than those bought in a shop.
Yes they are best eaten small before they get tough and stringy
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes they are best eaten small before they get tough and stringy
I have to laugh at myself. I have been treating these beans like they are my babies whereas normally, I think nothing of wasting a few beans that dry up in the fridge.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-07-2018, 01:15 PM

I have noticed that the growth has slowed up quite a bit. There are still plenty on there but they are only small. Is there anything I should be doing to promote growth? Can I still feed them Tomorite? Do I need to pinch out more or remove a few leaves?

Worried from Beanland.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 01:46 PM

Dear Beanland
We are having the same problem....water...plenty of...and often might do the trick...and talk to them, be kind and encouraging
Regards

Concerned W Mids

ps. the courgettes have gone mad...

Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

27-07-2018, 02:10 PM

In this weather its water, water and yet more water for them although we always found best thing before planting runner beans was to dig in plenty of our homemade compost helped.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 02:20 PM

The wife planted some runner beans several weeks ago.

Every time we look now, the plants are full of them and they are actually very good: big and tender.

We have so many now that there are far too many for us to eat, so the wife has put many in the freezer and is giving away handfuls to all our friends.

I've tried to explain to her the futility of her actions, and that we should be selling them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Dear Beanland
We are having the same problem....water...plenty of...and often might do the trick...and talk to them, be kind and encouraging
Regards

Concerned W Mids

ps. the courgettes have gone mad...

Cougettes! Thank God for that. I thought they were runner beans.

I'm impressed Rehab. I might consider growing those next year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

27-07-2018, 03:21 PM

LD as the others say beans like water both around the roots and 'mist' the flowers with a spray to stop them dropping off before setting.

Page 8 of 16 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top