Join for free
Page 8 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 10:13 AM

Re: French Riots

Originally Posted by Pug ->
What's up,Bruce?
Seriously...why the intense dislike of a country thousands of miles from you?
Why on earth should I dislike any country let alone have any intense dislike? I like all European countries equally likewise most Asian countries that I am familiar with. As I have said some people in this forum are just so sensitive and view anything less than full some praise as criticism yet are happy to call other countries or their inhabitants by some appalling names.

Frankly I don't understand it, this super sensitivity is very wearing. I would be interested to hear why saying:

"That is a particularly British idea which also led to them declaring New Holland Terra nullius" leads you to think it is an indication of intense dislike - it is just a statement of fact. Why anybody should be offended by it is beyond me.

I certainly don't take offence at anything anybody says about Australia.

Look at the sequence of repartee that nearly led to poor old Moscow being in tears:

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Despite what you read on here, the French have a very successful military, scientific and economic history. Even better their language sounds so sexy.
Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
France is Ok its just full of toss pot French
Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We don't want to hear this get thee back to the place we sent convicts too .
Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
If that sort of nasal whining turns you on, Bruce!
I don't think so...

What's the difference between a pommie and a Qantas jet?

The Qantas jet stops whining when it arrives at Sydney airport.

(Very old joke)
See what I mean? Yet you accuse me of having an 'intense dislike'? Get real, grow some balls and stop being such a delicate flower.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
France has always been there, its just that it wasn't called France back then but Gaul !!!
And now you're going to tell us that the great French (Gallic) army conquered the Romans!

Still accusing me of being a Nazi, after reading my post properly, Joseph?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 12:08 PM

That is a particularly British idea which also led to them declaring New Holland Terra nullius
And in 387 BC, that oversized island where you live was populated by peaceful people.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Bruce I dislike anybody that is not Yorkshire and I whittle that down in the county

Once everybody realises that we are right Johnny foreigner is wrong and Oz was where we sent naughty boys even though half my family live there then we will get on very well
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
France has always been there, its just that it wasn't called France back then but Gaul !!!

Gaul actually encompassed what is now known as France, Luxembourg, Belgium, most of Switzerland, Northern Italy, as well as the parts of the Netherlands and Germany. (The EU of it's day? )When the Romans left, parts of the region became occupied by the Franks, a Germanic tribe and the area became known as Francia.

The country now known as France was originally a collection of independent states usually warring with each other
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Bruce I dislike anybody that is not Yorkshire and I whittle that down in the county

Once everybody realises that we are right Johnny foreigner is wrong and Oz was where we sent naughty boys even though half my family live there then we will get on very well
Very true and didn't Captain Cook come from Yorkshire (or there about)?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-01-2019, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And in 387 BC, that oversized island where you live was populated by peaceful people.
That can't be right if it belonged to no-one surely? Anyway it is a continent not an island, Tasmania is an island.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-01-2019, 01:27 AM

That can't be right if it belonged to no-one surely? Anyway it is a continent not an island, Tasmania is an island.
I assume that it belonged to the people who lived there at the time.

Define an island.

Define a continent.

As I understand it, the continent involves is now called Oceania.

Unless, of course, they've changed it again!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I assume that it belonged to the people who lived there at the time.

Define an island.

Define a continent.

As I understand it, the continent involves is now called Oceania.

Unless, of course, they've changed it again!
No, Oceania is a region, it encompasses two continents (Zealandia and Australia) plus a range of Pacific Islands - Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia come to mind though that might not be exactly right.

No need for me to define a continent or an island it has already been done.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-01-2019, 12:53 PM

No, Oceania is a region, it encompasses two continents (Zealandia and Australia) plus a range of Pacific Islands - Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia come to mind though that might not be exactly right.

No need for me to define a continent or an island it has already been done.
OK, as you don't seem to know, I'll help.

Continent (from Collins English Dictionary):
A continent is a very large area of land, such as Africa or Asia, that consists of several countries."

Island (from Collins English Dictionary):
"An island is a piece of land that is completely surrounded by water."

I always believed that Australia was a single country and that it is a piece of land surrounded by water. Perhaps I was mistaken!

Page 8 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top