Join for free
Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 08:57 AM

Re: French Riots

Originally Posted by JBR ->
OK, as you don't seem to know, I'll help.

Continent (from Collins English Dictionary):
A continent is a very large area of land, such as Africa or Asia, that consists of several countries."

Island (from Collins English Dictionary):
"An island is a piece of land that is completely surrounded by water."

I always believed that Australia was a single country and that it is a piece of land surrounded by water. Perhaps I was mistaken!
As you were the one who asked for the definition of a continent and an island then I guess this comes under the heading of "self help". Well done.

Australia is indeed a single country but it comprises many islands so you were mistaken but at least now you are better informed.

Now that you are better educated perhaps we should get back to the topic of "French Riots".
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 09:08 AM

I agree JBR....Australia is an island

As far as the French are concerned...are they still rioting? It seems to have gone quiet on that front or maybe the rioters just took time off for Christmas.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As you were the one who asked for the definition of a continent and an island then I guess this comes under the heading of "self help". Well done.

Australia is indeed a single country but it comprises many islands so you were mistaken but at least now you are better informed.

Now that you are better educated perhaps we should get back to the topic of "French Riots".
Well, as you clearly didn't know the answer, I thought I should attempt to educate you!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I agree JBR....Australia is an island

As far as the French are concerned...are they still rioting? It seems to have gone quiet on that front or maybe the rioters just took time off for Christmas.
They probably ran out of white flags.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 08:23 PM

Today in London. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46851713

Dreading Tuesday.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-01-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Today in London. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46851713

Dreading Tuesday.
I'm not sure exactly who their target is.

May? The infamous London mayor? Everyone?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 08:35 PM

Most definitely anyone who does not agree with their actions.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->

From the BBC "On Saturday, France put 80,000 police officers on duty to cope with thousands of gilets jaunes demonstrators across the country."

Oh! and Australia is a continent as is Antarctica.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
OK, as you don't seem to know, I'll help.

Continent (from Collins English Dictionary):
A continent is a very large area of land, such as Africa or Asia, that consists of several countries."

Island (from Collins English Dictionary):
"An island is a piece of land that is completely surrounded by water."

I always believed that Australia was a single country and that it is a piece of land surrounded by water. Perhaps I was mistaken!

From Encyclopedia Britannica geography section :

"Island, any area of land smaller than a continent and entirely surrounded by water."

"Continent, one of the larger continuous masses of land, namely, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia, listed in order of size. "
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
From Encyclopedia Britannica geography section :

"Island, any area of land smaller than a continent and entirely surrounded by water."

"Continent, one of the larger continuous masses of land, namely, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia, listed in order of size. "
Interesting, not only because I thought Australasia was the name of our antipodean continent, but also because this would imply that the UK isn't part of Europe as it's not part of a continuous mass of land. Just saying

Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top