Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 09:03 PM

Re: Norwich "Happy Brexit day" letter of hate

I don't condone it but it doesn't warrant a police investigation imo; but we all know where their priorities lie. People get threatened every day but they don't receive the same attention.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 09:33 PM

I'm often in the local shops (Norfolk) and there's
no English spoken, I feel like on outsider.

On the other hand, I buy mushrooms and
asparagus at source and the workers/staff
couldn't be friendlier.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I don't know... there's something fishy about it. I definitely do not sympathise with those Brits living in highly populated immigrant areas. I choose to because they are nicer ... or shall we say more challenging and educational.
Being overwhelmed by migrants is a new experience in some of the far reaches of the country d00d unlike living in London where it's more cosmopolitan, and no doubt you have grown up with different nationalities. Just 100 years ago even in London there was lots of discrimination against blacks and the Irish. It takes time to integrate and accept different races as normal. Here in Doncaster I didn't clap eyes on a foreigner or hear a foreign language until I was forty, and now they outnumber the locals in some places....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 12:23 AM

Less than 100 years ago OGF. I remember in the 70s when I was a child racist banter was normal. Not just on the street but in the media. People in our peer group were skinheads and NF members. It was not a happy time. It must have been just awful for people who the hate was targeted at. I'm pretty shocked I must say at the attitudes on this forum. I see it as a sample of what people in the country think It's interesting that many here sympathise with victims of the Holocaust yet do not see that the same attitudes are being exhibited here towards other groups. This is how it starts. Group hate.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Less than 100 years ago OGF. I remember in the 70s when I was a child racist banter was normal. Not just on the street but in the media. People in our peer group were skinheads and NF members. It was not a happy time. It must have been just awful for people who the hate was targeted at. I'm pretty shocked I must say at the attitudes on this forum. I see it as a sample of what people in the country think It's interesting that many here sympathise with victims of the Holocaust yet do not see that the same attitudes are being exhibited here towards other groups. This is how it starts. Group hate.
You're probably right Annie, the people of Norfolk have no right to defend their customs, culture, and community in the same way that the American Indians or Aborigines had no right to defend theirs, and were finally driven to extinction. Perhaps in the years to come a museum and visitors centre will be built to demonstrate how the Norfolk people used to live...

And I don't think a letter asking that everyone should learn to speak English if they intend settling here can be compared to the Holocaust Annie...
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:06 AM

I don't really care about some letter a weirdo put on a wall. I've seen and heard a lot worse, its just that this is Brexit related so it gets people wound up.

just jog on...

Denmark don't support much integration at all and immigrants have to learn Danish. I don't hear any outrage against Denmark though....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Try walking through certain areas of london as a white person and you will probably get the same treatment but no one ever investigates that.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Try walking through certain areas of london as a white person and you will probably get the same treatment but no one ever investigates that.
None of these reasons justify what happened. It is the fact that many here appear to be supportive of such actions that I find shocking. It's just plain hate. Racial hate is wrong whether it's coming from one group or another. It should not be accepted in a civilised society.

The Spanish must feel the same about British residents speaking English with each other.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not just London. Try walking through the Pellon district of Halifax and see where that gets you.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 05:18 PM

I lived and worked in Rome for almost 14 years and never felt any pressure to learn Italian or to integrate. However, my wife and I went to great lengths to become reasonably fluent in the language and to at least chat with a number of our neighbours (they were more interested in learning English from us!).

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top