Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:42 PM

Re: What can GB plc offer the world?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Britain excels at innovation like few countries. Some of the best ideas and most unusual ideas come from here. The temptation right now is to cut corners and become mediocre as a result and that should not be allowed to happen.
True. Unfortunately, having come up with some excellent ideas we can never afford to capitalise on them, so the Americans take over!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I agree with this bloke.....

Me too!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
There I must agree; man's actions are at the very least certainly not helping.
Regardless of cause one thing is certain and that is that the climate is indeed changing.

When we were growing up if anybody had told us that not only could you grow grapes here commercially but that we would produce our own world-class wines from them, the chaps in a white van with a nice white jacket would have been on their way to take you to a soft padded cell.
While I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about commercially grown grapes, I have to point out that grapes have been grown in the south of England since at least Roman times , perhaps before that. I know of 1 vineyard in the West Midlands that has been producing a fairly decent white wine since the end of WWII. How does that stack up with "global warming" and "climate change". I know, I know, off topic and I apologise.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
While I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about commercially grown grapes, I have to point out that grapes have been grown in the south of England since at least Roman times , perhaps before that. I know of 1 vineyard in the West Midlands that has been producing a fairly decent white wine since the end of WWII. How does that stack up with "global warming" and "climate change". I know, I know, off topic and I apologise.
No problems Percy and in a way of course you're right.

But the Romans could never quite manage it and what grape varieties we used to grow were hardier and less-productive varieties whose wine was not, if we're honest, anywhere near the best examples of that fine ancient beverage.
Your "fairly decent" local wine might have been (and continue to be) just that, but not the "excellent" that so many are now becoming recognized as.

Nowadays there are more vineyards growing more mainstream varieties of grape and more winemakers, and our wines are acheiving global recognition.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...ng-competition

https://www.emergingvines.co.uk/blog...sh-wine-grapes
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Most first world countries have a strong tradition of scientific, medical and social research. Britain certainly does yes as does the US, Australia, NZ Germany, France etc etc etc. I understand the OP's question to be about important things that are uniquely British. Like things no other country has achieved. Like fr'istnce..the Westminster system of representative government..Used all over the commonwealth and variations of a basic theme in the USA and many other places. That sort of caper innit!
We all have our insecurities, not least brit brexiters at this time.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
There I must agree; man's actions are at the very least certainly not helping.
Regardless of cause one thing is certain and that is that the climate is indeed changing.

When we were growing up if anybody had told us that not only could you grow grapes here commercially but that we would produce our own world-class wines from them, the chaps in a white van with a nice white jacket would have been on their way to take you to a soft padded cell.
Sorry for detracting from the O/P but your comment deserves an answer Zaphod....
The climate is not, and never has been static Zaphod. So we both agree that the climate is indeed changing, but there is 'No Normal' when considering the climate. There have been Ice ages, and there were forest where there are now deserts. The Sahara desert for example, a major source of oil proves that there was once forests there. Marine deposits have been found many metres high in mountain ranges, proving that sea levels were one far higher than they are today. The planet does not owe us a living, nor does it exist for our survival, it just is. Any changes occurring as a result of man's existence are local and superficial. We have to understand that there are places that are habitable now, may become uninhabitable in the future and there is nothing we can do about it except adapt.....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 09:17 PM

Sorry for detracting from the O/P but your comment deserves an answer Zaphod....
The climate is not, and never has been static Zaphod. So we both agree that the climate is indeed changing, but there is 'No Normal' when considering the climate. There have been Ice ages, and there were forest where there are now deserts. The Sahara desert for example, a major source of oil proves that there was once forests there. Marine deposits have been found many metres high in mountain ranges, proving that sea levels were one far higher than they are today. The planet does not owe us a living, nor does it exist for our survival, it just is. Any changes occurring as a result of man's existence are local and superficial. We have to understand that there are places that are habitable now, may become uninhabitable in the future and there is nothing we can do about it except adapt.....

Migrate or die ???
Perhaps we are wrong ?? 🤔🤔

Donkeyman! 👎👎
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-04-2021, 09:19 PM

What can GB plc offer the world?

Slightly off-topic, but pertaining to another different thread I started today, I have been researching a particular subject and am proud to announce that I have discovered something which GB offered to the world around 100 years ago: Wicca.

Are there no ends to our talents?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 09:20 PM

There is a normal. It is the point around which the climate metrics rotate around over a period of time. It is the actions taken by mankind that have moved that point that is causing the chaos.

As for the earth's topography (mountain ranges) the changes in that case is mostly down to Plate Tectonics which in turn are driven by convection currents within the earth's core.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 12:24 PM

I agree with most of that OGF.

Except for the last bit,"Any changes occurring as a result of man's existence are local and superficial.".

There is absolutely no way that pouring billions and billions of tons of various gasses and pollutants into our atmosphere each and every year since the industrial revolution can have no adverse affect.
None.

Combine that with the mass destruction of the only things which could help to negate the affects of such pollution (our rainforests are the big example) and it becomes increasingly obvious to myself and many others that we are not exactly helping ourselves in avoiding what might have been inevitable even without our input.

There comes a time when climatic change becomes so drastic that adaption is of little help to the majority of humankind.
Whether we are heading towards such an apocalyptic scenario only time will tell, but personally I would prefer that as a species we did something to both understand the possibilities and to delay such consequences if at all possible.

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top