Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Your first Job after leaving School.

Was it a good choice, or did you get a shock.?.

I already had 2 paper rounds so earning my keep was already in my psyche. However as an apprentice Electrician i visualized standing in someones home putting a plug on their TV.

So there i was first morning all shiny and new, crisp white shirt and tie, shiny shoes all buttoned up and raring to go.

First job was a beautiful and very old rural cottage and it was hot. Then it went downhill, i was sent into the loft which had fiberglass and was covered in dark black dust, i came out and was made to stand on a blanket so i could be brushed down with a broom.

Next task was to screw ceiling roses to the massive and very hard Oak beams, result blisters everywhere.

Home dirty, itchy, and blistered, a shock was an understatement.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Re: Your first Job after leaving School.

My first job after leaving school was kitchen assistant in a convent, there was a bit of a power struggle between the Nun who thought she was in charge of the kitchen and the Kitchen manager/cook. Resulted in all of us being given conflicting instructions and we didn't know who to obey. I left after a month as it was driving me mad and Friday fish day just finished me off- we used to cook so much fish I would get on the bus home stinking of the stuff and people would move away from me I found a job in a factory where I wouldn't end up smelling and the management structure was set in stone.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Was it a good choice, or did you get a shock.?.

I already had 2 paper rounds so earning my keep was already in my psyche. However as an apprentice Electrician i visualized standing in someones home putting a plug on their TV.

So there i was first morning all shiny and new, crisp white shirt and tie, shiny shoes all buttoned up and raring to go.

First job was a beautiful and very old rural cottage and it was hot. Then it went downhill, i was sent into the loft which had fiberglass and was covered in dark black dust, i came out and was made to stand on a blanket so i could be brushed down with a broom.

Next task was to screw ceiling roses to the massive and very hard Oak beams, result blisters everywhere.

Home dirty, itchy, and blistered, a shock was an understatement.
Great post - enjoyed that (even if you didn't)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Started as a junior office clerk, which involved tea making and filing mostly.
In my lunch hours I got on the typewriter and self taught the hang of it.
I then progressed to all things office wise, until I progressed to Secretary ...
Proud of me little self ......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Started as a junior office clerk, which involved tea making and filing mostly.
In my lunch hours I got on the typewriter and self taught the hang of it.
I then progressed to all things office wise, until I progressed to Secretary ...
Proud of me little self ......
And so you should be, did it all yourself !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

01-05-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
And so you should be, did it all yourself !
Yea ......it was a good achievement
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 10:40 AM

I started off as a messenger boy in a city centre branch of the 'Home and Cononial' stores, I became a dab hand at it and could maneuver a full basket through the heaviest of city traffic, loved the job did I, and if they ever start looking for 'Messenger old Men' I'd be first in the Q.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Box office assistant for Cambridge City Council. Which was great as I got the chance to work as an usher at concerts too so could enjoy the music for free!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 10:59 AM

My first job was as an apprentice fitter at the local coal mine, but just turned 15 and not allowed down the pit until 16, I was put to work in the yard putting bolts into fishplates for the underground rail tracks and drying sand for the locomotives (dry sand was fed under the wheels to give extra grip in the wet). Both jobs were mind numbing but at least it paid £2.17s.6d a week, of which Mum generously let me keep ten bob....
Itzliz
United kingdom...
Itzliz is female 

01-05-2014, 10:59 AM

Oh was 15 and worked 6 days a week for £2.o6 pence , goodness me child labour abuse wasn't init ..Was at this large builders suppliers shop, sold all sort's a things from fire places to kettles.I cleaned polished an stacked shelves an would have loved to have a go at the tills but wasn't allowed lol...
Shop work never paid then, an doesn't pay good wages now.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top