Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 11:21 AM

Folding Card?

Some of you crafters might be able to suggest a better way to bend thin card. (Perhaps slightly thicker than a greeting card)

I print out an envelope on thin card to post DVD/CDs; it works well, I just have to cut it out and fold before gluing.

My slight problem has been the folding because the 'grain' of the card is vertical the horizontal folds are a bit clumsy. The best way I have found is using the edge of a gillotine (sp?) to fold it over. Scoring is out because the card is not that thick.

Any suggestions from scrapbookers or crafters?? What is a quick and accurate way to get a sharp fold?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Re: Folding Card?

I have always used two pieces of card, joined 3 sides with a decent fabric tape = pop the DVD into the sandwich and then tape the open edge. No folding at all.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have always used two pieces of card, joined 3 sides with a decent fabric tape = pop the DVD into the sandwich and then tape the open edge. No folding at all.
Maybe so, but that doesn't answer my question.

myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 10:34 PM

I've always scored card .... the thinner type with something similar to a bradawl
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

15-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I've always scored card .... the thinner type with something similar to a bradawl
Would the edge of a small screwdriver do the trick do you think? Perhaps I will try that next time.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 11:02 PM

An old ball point pen that's run out of ink is ideal for scoring, then fold gently & rub the blunt end of the pen along fold ...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

15-11-2014, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
An old ball point pen that's run out of ink is ideal for scoring, then fold gently & rub the blunt end of the pen along fold ...
That sounds like a good tip too.

Am I right in presuming that the scoring is done on the outside of the fold? (shows how much I know about this)
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 11:07 PM

I usually do it on the inside, but have a practice and see how it goes, don't forget to use ruler though or it can get a bit wiggly!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

15-11-2014, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I usually do it on the inside, but have a practice and see how it goes, don't forget to use ruler though or it can get a bit wiggly!
Yes, can understand the need for a ruler, My printer can print on both sides of the paper/card so I can move the "Do Not Bend..." to the other side and the lines will be on the inside of the envelope so it will look better too.

Good stuff. They are pretty quick to make with the folding taking the longest time of all, this should not only speed things up but make it a damn sight less fiddly. Mind you I only make about one a month at the most.

I shall experiment with both methods proposed by you and Myrtle.

Ta. Award yourselves gold stars
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Maybe so, but that doesn't answer my question.

Sorry thought you wanted ideas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top