Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 07:59 PM

Re: Shame and Scandal !

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Ma Barker has nothing on your ancestors Silver.
I had an ancestor transported to Australia back in the early 1800’s, it seems he stole a horse, the horse was military property and was nicked from outside a Tavern, they got the horse back but that didn’t stop them shipping yerman out, I suppose he was lucky, nicking horses was a hanging offence then I believe.
No soft sentences in those days, Jem !

I started out researching my maternal line - bagged a few nuns, a Canon of the RC church, a civil engineer and an author. Problem is some of the Irish records were mysteriously destroyed (say no more) so it's like banging my head on a wall.

So - I started on my father's lot - all good peasant stock. A lot of seamen, farmers, blanket makers - and now criminals!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 08:30 PM

Yes Silver I remember telling Rachel about most of the records being destroyed when the Four Courts Buildings were shelled during the civil war here in the 1920's, my youngest brother, who keeps all the old family records, met the same problem, it's a pity.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2015, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I can go for months and never find a thing then, suddenly, another piece falls into place and sets me off again. Have just found my 3 x Great Grandparents and that lead me to my naughty 4 x Great Grandma. What a pity I will never know what actually happened !!

It's fascinating isn't it ST. I started doing my family tree last year, well, I've had a couple of attempts in the past, and it is so interesting I thought.
I got stuck though, and the chap taking the course had packed up, so it ground to a halt. I haven't quite got the confidence or knowledge to do it without a bit of help.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Yes Silver I remember telling Rachel about most of the records being destroyed when the Four Courts Buildings were shelled during the civil war here in the 1920's, my youngest brother, who keeps all the old family records, met the same problem, it's a pity.
Yes - a great loss and an annoyance for genealogists! My great grandmother for example - I can find records of her death and burial, and a few census returns, but not her birth.

Another problem is that not everyone was as meticulous as they should be over recording events - both in Eire and the UK. Census returns have all manner of strange spellings, inaccurate dates of birth etc.,

My twin seems not to have been recorded at all - and there should be both a birth and a death certificate for him. He lived for 8 hours after our birth.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

03-08-2015, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It's fascinating isn't it ST. I started doing my family tree last year, well, I've had a couple of attempts in the past, and it is so interesting I thought.
I got stuck though, and the chap taking the course had packed up, so it ground to a halt. I haven't quite got the confidence or knowledge to do it without a bit of help.
I am only amateur but would be glad to help if I can.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 09:13 AM

I've not had the time to continue with my genealogy research, and even then I just stuck with elusive ancestors on Mum's side. Maybe I need a fresh perspective and should now start on Dad's?

Addictive but fun.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 09:20 AM

My mother told me that an ancestor of mine on my mothers side was the last highwayman to be hanged in Launceston Cornwall called "Mad Mick"
Launceston was the main town back then, now it is Truro.

How true this is I have no idea.

I have been told a lot about both sides of my family but far too much to put on here
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am only amateur but would be glad to help if I can.

That's good of you ST, thankyou. I will bear that in mind when I get back to it again.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 10:30 AM

Ive found many crimes my ancestors done ,both in the Newspaper section and in Crime and Punishment of Find My Past ..
If you would like me to see if your Ancestor comes up in these sections send me the name and what years to look at .Also the area she lived in ..
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2015, 11:42 AM

I have had great trouble searching my fathers family.
Shall I just said my grandfather was named Robin Hood yes, imagine putting that in when you are searching.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top