Join for free
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 10:59 PM

The Caravanners.

On our drive into the nearest village this morning, the country road was slowed down to just under 30mph. OK, so it is only two lanes wide, twisty and a little up-and-down, but the general slow down was caused by the caravanners returning home. The weather here in North Wales has not been kind to the holiday makers this summer, and we have had more than our fair share of rain.

I feel a little sorry for them, truth be told. One caravan park that we know well is mostly a quagmire. Some of the caravans are almost up to their axles in mud, and when it is raining, there is nothing for the poor souls to sit it out in their little tin boxes and play Monopoly. The kids want to go outside to play, or run down to the nearby lake. Their bikes remain leaning against the vans, unused. They want to have a barbecue outside, to play ball games, to climb trees and go fishing. Everybody starts off with optimism – perhaps it will be better tomorrow. Day after day, the skies are grey and miserable. Family squabbles are common.

After a while, the decision is made to go home a few days earlier than planned. That is when the great exodus starts – hour after hour in slow-moving traffic. Soon it will be time to go back to school. But.... in the first week of September, that is when the ‘wrinklies’ come out with their caravans hoping for an Indian summer.
I hope they do have better weather...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 11:09 PM

Re: The Caravanners.

If they travel that slow, Hans, it will be September before they get home!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 11:20 PM

I came home yesterday from Prestatyn after staying in a static caravan for a week with my daughter and grandchildren and we had glorious weather apart from Tuesday when it rained (went to local swimming baths) ... loads of time on the beach, bike riding (not me ), etc .... the children said they've had an awesome time
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2015, 11:24 PM

Also the attraction of sleeping in a tent at Capel Curig during Jan and Feb beats me, but some always did every year.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 09:36 AM

We stopped caravanning a few years ago but we still miss it ! some of those times when we had rain pouring on the roof and were playing cards and chatting are some of the best times I can remember, cup of tea choccie biscuits and my family around me nothing nicer in the world.
I am amazed the traffic was so slow we see caravans hurtling down the motor way towards the ports doing speeds we wouldn't dream of in our CRV 80 - 90 miles an hour many of them.

Have a static now so don't tow it around but really miss those days of carefree wandering.

Last time we were at the static it rained and we tried to recreate the cards round the table etc had a nice time but something was missing, think it might have been the squash round the table as we have so much more room in the static.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 09:41 AM

We had a Static at Flamborough head for a good few years, my daughter said they were the best holidays she ever had and was sad when we decided to sell up.
My daughter and boyfriend/ now husband used to go every other weekend and when we were up at the caravan, they took over our house
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 12:30 PM

Many years ago, a friend invited myself and family for the day to visit them at a camping caravan meet that was fairly local.
The following week I had bought a trailer tent.
Following that was a caravan that we towed all around this island for a few years. It never rained the times we went to Wales.
Then there was the static van in St Oysth Essex, followed by the Chalet also in St Osyth, which after 22 years we sold this year due to my wife's disability and no longer possible to use it.
Good memory's, lots of friends made.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top