Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 12:55 PM

Electric Bike Anyone?

OK, a person I know fancies an electric bike. One reason is so she could then keep up with me when I go for a 6-10 mile run. At the moment such a distance is way beyond her (and her back).

Anyone had one of these - a modern version?
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 02:13 PM

Re: Electric Bike Anyone?

MKJ Aysa bought one for her son ask her☺
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 02:25 PM

One of Tasha's friends had one she lost her leg in an accident so this was a great way for her to enjoy cycling with her friends. They are great until you come to a hill it seems then you need to peddle or walk. The batteries last a long time these days too.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 03:28 PM

Buy a tandem instead Mark, she could rest whenever she wanted while you carried on pedaling
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 08:46 PM

Had one from a early age Mark. Shame I know a guy who has one, never uses it and never will.

Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 09:19 PM

Hi MKJ
I bought an electric bike for my son to use to work and back as his eyesight makes it impossible for him to pass a driving test.
Its very good and he charges it each night before going but as has been said it does tend to struggle on the hills on the way home...I say hills cos thats what they are to us here in "flat" Norfolk but its not really flat around North Norfolk.
It has a speed of 15mph and has a battery charge enough for 21 miles each charge. His work place is only 3 miles away and the bike struggles on the journey home so he just peddles to help it along.
One word of caution though it weighs the same as a small tank,its way to heavy for me to even pick it up....you can buy spare batterys for it at £148 a go.I bought it from Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3912177332...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Had one from a early age Mark. Shame I know a guy who has one, never uses it and never will.
That ain't electric is it?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

06-10-2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Hi MKJ
I bought an electric bike for my son to use to work and back as his eyesight makes it impossible for him to pass a driving test.
Its very good and he charges it each night before going but as has been said it does tend to struggle on the hills on the way home...I say hills cos thats what they are to us here in "flat" Norfolk but its not really flat around North Norfolk.
It has a speed of 15mph and has a battery charge enough for 21 miles each charge. His work place is only 3 miles away and the bike struggles on the journey home so he just peddles to help it along.
One word of caution though it weighs the same as a small tank,its way to heavy for me to even pick it up....you can buy spare batterys for it at £148 a go.I bought it from Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3912177332...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks for that.

This is the bike that scores highly with us ...

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/...tric_Bike.aspx

It has a range of 25 miles using a 10ah lithium battery but for less than an additional £100 the range can be doubled to 50 miles by using a 13ah lithium battery. This bike is also fold-able with a battery than can be removed quickly to help with lifting. Looks a cracker to me.

On a side note the tyres can be made puncture proof too (£15) .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Looks good Mark, hope it works well for your lady.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2015, 10:19 AM

When I start to run out of steam, I reckon I'll get a power-assisted bike. There are some quite good ones around now. Costly yes but since I don't spend money on much else and getting out on the bike is important to me, I'll probably go for an expensive one.

Maybe one problem is what happens if they go wrong or need regular overhauling? For that reason, I will try to buy locally rather than order one from the Internet. Somewhere that I can easily get it back to if necessary. Just depends what bikes are available at the time.

Also, I believe the batteries used can only be charged a certain number of times before they don't hold a charge and have to be replaced. Something else to look into I suppose.

I'll have to see how life and time treat me but the plan to get something like this:

http://www.electricbikeworld.co.uk/p...electric-bike/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top