Join for free
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 11:33 AM

Drugs which may cause dementia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43881209

I was rather concerned when I heard this on the news this morning. My husband is taking one of the drugs, an anticholinergic, which is thought could possibly cause dementia. I have noticed that since he started taking it a couple of years ago his memory is getting worse. Of course it might have nothing to do with the drug he requires for his overactive bladder problems.

Is anyone else on this forum taking any anticholinergic drugs?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Re: Drugs which may cause dementia

Tara, I have no knowledge or experience of these drugs, but I would suggest you speak to your husbands doctor about them as he may be able to put your mind at rest.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Tara, I have no knowledge or experience of these drugs, but I would suggest you speak to your husbands doctor about them as he may be able to put your mind at rest.
I doubt anything can be done, anyway. It would be very difficult to tell if the drug is anything to do with his memory loss, or just natural age progression and of course he does have half his brain trashed as well.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 12:36 PM

Tara, l read about this in the newspaper yesterday.
One was, some medication for Depression and as you say, the other was for Bladder problems.

I don’t take any of those medications but it must be worrying for those that do.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 10:52 PM

I'm on so many medications that it wouldn't surprise me if one or some of them could cause long term problems.

Even before the cancer I was on a lot of drugs.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 11:10 PM

I have more drugs than a bloody Colombian mule .
Yes..I know..I am demented.
ArtHeart
West Midlands
ArtHeart is female  ArtHeart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2018, 11:20 PM

I have only recently forced myself to take Amitriptyline and ordered a repeat prescription. It's to aid sleep as I haven't slept properly for 12 months - and now find this is on the list of possible dementia-inducing drugs.

Think I'll stick with the sleepless nights

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top